Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5ANS + Mechanical not working completely (regardless of wire config)

Post PD-5ANS + Mechanical not working completely (regardless of wire config)

Hello, the online instructions show the Caseta switch installed at the location going to the load (lights) with the mechanical on the side connected to the hot source. In my case, I am installing the Caseta on the hot source side, with the mechanical on the load side (as the instructions say I can do...but don't tell me how to do it). I have tried so many different combinations of wiring (starting with the recommended method...which doesn't work at all), then reversing the roles (which partially works), then my own understanding of how it should work and can get the Caseta to turn on/off and with the Caseta on can get the mechanical to work...but once I turn the caseta to off, the mechanical no longer works as it only flashes the lights in the on position. And if the mechanical is in the ON position, the Caseta stops operating the lights. HOW?!My config is as follows...Power Source Side: PD-5ANS-Caseta Black -> Source hot-Caseta White -> Neutral-Caseta Red -> Red Traveler-Caseta Blue -> White TravelerLoad Side: Leviton Mechanical-Mechanical Common -> Load (lights)-Mechanical Traveler (bottom opposite Common) -> Red Traveler-Mechanical Traveler (top same side as Common) -> White Traveler *reversing the order Traveler posts only changes the malfunction from the on position to the off on the mechanical side*In my case, can someone tell me the right wiring configuration with the Caseta on the hot source side to let this work with a mechanical switch connected to lights?4 hours of working on this and I am now beyond frustrated

If you had a white wire attached to the mechanical switches you have what is called a dead-end 3-way. Make sure you don't mistake the neutral for the white traveler. Page 2 (50) of the wiring diagram below shows the Caseta at the power end. Don't forget the jumper between the switch leg and the common screw of the mechanical switch. Basically you are using the mechanical switch as a contact closure. When it adds or removes power from the blue wire of the Caseta, the switch toggles on/off. http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...93_Page_34.pdf
    LED, Incorporated
    Raleigh, NC 27614

Hi RandyC,The traveler cable has Red, White and Black wires from the source to the load side. The black is actually carrying source power to the other side (for use with additional switches/loads), we we are tapping that for the black input on the Caseta. The Red and White are simply for use as travelers between the 3-way switch.So if I am to understand your diagram correctly, If the red is connected to the blue output, then I need to tie the white traveler to the common load line (disconnecting it from the mechanical switch). I thought I did this initially, but will do it again to be doubly sure I didn't miss anything.Thank you SO much for the updated diagram that helps me visualize.Jason

WOO HOO!!! Thank you so much RandyC! That did the trick!

Glad it worked out! There are almost as many wiring methods as there are electricians. It can be frustrating trying to figure out what method they used.
    LED, Incorporated
    Raleigh, NC 27614