Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5WS issue with fan and LUT-MLC installed

Question PD-5WS issue with fan and LUT-MLC installed

HiI am having issues trying to get a PD-5WS-DV-WH switch working with my Monte Carlo Clarity ceiling fan. I basically want to control power to the fan via the switch. It has a wireless remote and uses the last setting when powered on. We already have a switch for it, I am just replacing that switch with the Lutron so we can control it wirelessly. I went with this switch because I lack a neutral line at the switch box. My initial install just swapped out the switch. Nothing worked, the fan relay just clicked and shut off, and I had the flashing red light on the switch. I then installed the LUT-MLC cap at the fan box. It seemed like it worked at first (with maybe an extra click or two) as the fan and it's light started working, but after we used the remote to shut off the fan it no longer works. Same as before.. click, nothing. It just seems like there isn't enough load to satisfy the switch.Looking for ideas of what could be wrong, or if there is an alternate load I can install which will make the switch happy.. or if I'm just not gonna be able to make this work. (Running a neutral line to the switch isn't an option at this time..) Thanks in advance

To clarify.... the switch's light is green when it's off.. when i switch it on i get a brief red flash, hear the click at the fan relay, and then the light goes back to green... but the power at the fan is off.

Install the LUT-MLC. It should have been in the box with the switch.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I did that, per my post. Still not working.

Lutron Technical Support
    If you turned the fan off with the remote, the switch is trying to turn on a load that was turned off at a second location (the internal fan control). This is like having 2 single pole switches in a row. Yu need both on for the power to go through.Try turning the internal fan control on with the remote first, and then try triggering the PD-5WS-DV.

Quote Originally Posted by Onjian View Post
    I did that, per my post. Still not working.
    Sorry, I missed that. Make sure you don't have anything connected to the blue wire and it is capped off. Typically power comes in to the switch box and a hot and neutral goes up to the load (switch leg). It is not done much any more but in some cases power comes into the fixture and the hot is relayed down to the switch and back up to the load. In this case, the white wire of the cable is not a neutral. Make sure you have the MLC connected to the output of the dimmer and the actual neutral.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Sorry, I missed that. Make sure you don't have anything connected to the blue wire and it is capped off. Typically power comes in to the switch box and a hot and neutral goes up to the load (switch leg). It is not done much any more but in some cases power comes into the fixture and the hot is relayed down to the switch and back up to the load. In this case, the white wire of the cable is not a neutral. Make sure you have the MLC connected to the output of the dimmer and the actual neutral.
    I am thinking that might be my issue.. I wouldn't be surprised, knowing my house, if they did something like that. For unrelated reasons I'm going to be taking my fan apart again soon, and when I get up there I'll take a look at the wiring again. If that doesn't yield any insight I'm just giving up on this. I already have a lot of our lighting wired into Caseta so I can live with just my ceiling fan not being automated. LOL