Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RA2 Shades

RA2 Shades

Something i heard today is making me question life and everything I thought I knew.

Are there any RadioRa2 shades that operate on hardwired communications? Specifically out of the bus of a Ra2 repeater?

Training and hundreds of ra2 installs tells me no, but someone who spoke to a Lutron rep says yes. Am I an idiot or is this impossible. I have always been under the impression that only Homeworks has a wired communication option.

RA2 does Sivoia Triathlon and wireless only. Wired Sivoia shades can be made to work with an adapter part. If you have a third party shade that uses contact closure, a VCRX or LMJ module could be used to control it in a somewhat rudimentary fashion. The Lutron rep probably was taking about the possibility to convert wired shades to wireless. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    RA2 does Sivoia Triathlon and wireless only. Wired Sivoia shades can be made to work with an adapter part. If you have a third party shade that uses contact closure, a VCRX or LMJ module could be used to control it in a somewhat rudimentary fashion. The Lutron rep probably was taking about the possibility to convert wired shades to wireless. Hope this helps!
    When you say Sivoia shades can be made to work with an adapter part, you're not saying that wired lutron QS shades can work with a Ra2 repeater over the ra2 repeater BUS connection right? WhT is the adapter part you're referring to? I like to speak in exact and know exactly what I'm speaking about so if I'm wrong, I want to know it and correct what I think I know.

See this forum post for more clear understanding regarding wired shades: https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...ireless+dongle. There is a wireless receiver that installs into the QS wired shade to make it into a wireless shade, addressable via RA2 in the normal way. The only thing I have heard the wired link on the main repeater being used for is a remote auxiliary repeater. While it is certainly possible, this is probably more of a question for Tech Support or one of the more seasoned members of the forum, who are like tech support but better.

I think the rep is confused. SQS wired and wireless shades are basically the same. You add the RF receiver to the wired version and it becomes wireless. I guess technically you are adding a "wired" (emphasis on the air quotes) shade to RA2 . The only wired device that RA2 supports is the Aux Repeater. I once had the Lutron rep (a Lutron employee) swear there was a 6-gang Grafik Eye. I told her to send me a picture. I think she sells those scented candle things now.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com