Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RA2 Select

RA2 Select

Hello, New Member here. Can anyone point me in the right direction to the RA2 Select Forum? Thank you.

There isn't one. If you have an app question, I'd go to the Caseta forum, as R2S uses the Caseta app. If you have a hardware question, come to RR2 forum. The reality is that you can put your question just about anywhere and it will probably be answered. Hope this helps!

Evan, Thank you. See you in RR2.

Ware444,Thank you for your reply, but I don't quite understand. I posted as a new question in the Radio RA2 Forum becausethere is no RA2 Select Forum (as I was instructed to do). As for Software, do you mean the App? If so, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still in the Planning Stage. Thank you again.Sincerely,heatman5

heatman5, if you haven’t purchased yet and you haven’t ran across it in your research, the RA2 Select system has a few weird caveats you should know about.First, all advanced features for a dimmer other than high end and low end trim are defaulted and locked out when the device is paired to the RA2 select repeater. So if you are interested in setting the fade up, fade down, LED brightness, or protected on level, you will not be able to do so.Secondly the occupancy sensors will not output any data on the telnet 3rd party integration. I’ve seen talk that Radio RA2 is the same way if the occupancy sensor is not paired directly to any devices, but even when paired they don’t report status via telnet on Select. Those are the two I’ve ran across in my small deployment. Neither are documented very well, and I specifically wanted to get into the Maestro dimmers for many of those advanced features and integration of better occupancy sensors than I could do with Z-Wave devices. The occupancy sensors do work very well, but to integrate with 3rd party devices and or better conditional logic you would need to buy an extra device (like a lamp module) to pair them to then watch the status of that extra device, which starts to add up cost significantly if you have a lot of zones you want to do occupancy logic with.

I dont want this to generate into a Ra2Select rant thread, but I would second Shawn's opinion and strongly recommend you take the free online class and jump to RadioRA2. I think it is a more sound time and money investment. Ra2Select feels too much like I'm putting cheap tires on my Porsche 911, although it may be beneficial for some situations, I just haven't found them.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    I dont want this to generate into a Ra2Select rant thread, but I would second Shawn's opinion and strongly recommend you take the free online class and jump to RadioRA2. I think it is a more sound time and money investment. Ra2Select feels too much like I'm putting cheap tires on my Porsche 911, although it may be beneficial for some situations, I just haven't found them.
    A more apt analogy might be buying very expensive racing tires and putting them on a Prius. In RA2 Select, the devices are still quite pricey, and quite capable, but they are added to a system where the software doesn’t let them use their potential.The silly part of it is that it is extremely likely that a the RA2 Select hub has quite a bit more resources (CPU/Memory) than the RadioRA2 main repeater. That is the nature of technology and the Main Repeater is about 9 years old from what I understand, whereas the Select Repeater is less than 2. It is 100% software limitations.

RA2Select Capabilities

Shawn Parr thank you for your feedback.evankirkhart thank you for your additional feedback. I have purchased the RA2 Select Main Repeater, the LMJ-5 PowPak and PJN-3BRL Picos. I'm waiting for delivery.This is all to accommodate a GE Lumination Suspended LED Fixture with 0-10v Dimming. If I need to replace the RA2 Select Main Repeater at a later date to gain additional functionality, I'm ok with that. I do truly appreciate anything you all might have to say, good or bad. Being informed is it's own remedy.Being an Electrician that has specialized in HVAC Low Voltage, I am familiar, maybe more than "familiar" with 0-10v Control. Honeywell has used this format with Commercial HVAC Controls for many, many years. I'm excited to see it work, but not so excited that I'm rushing anything. I will, later, add to this first setup.We live in a very old home (1850's) that has been in my wife's family forever. The knob & tube devices are still seen in the cellar (newer homes have basements, we have a cellar) although the house wiring was updated years ago with BX. All power feeds to room lighting go straight to the ceiling junction box with2 wire switch legs dropping down into the wall for a switch, if that room has a switch. In fact, this project that I'm about to start on will be the first that actually has a wall switch. No Neutral, of course as you would expect. Many years ago, my wife and I renovated the kitchen. We installed all new wiring. Ceiling fan, two four foot fluorescent fixtures, track lighting, pendants, all with Lutron Maestro three way dimmers or three way switches. Then the living room with wall sconces and Maestro dimmers. Last year I installed Caseta in my daughter and son in laws' house. I hope you all will be around during my dining room project. I'm looking forward to eliminating the dining room wall switch by using the LMJ-5 and Pico remotes. I'm sure I'll need guidance. I've started training at the very beginning of Lutron LCI. While this type of training is good, there's no substitute for practical knowledge. I'm sure I'll need to ask for help. That's when I'll find that RA2 Select can't do what I want and you all can say "I told you so"!Until then...Sincerely, John Wagner heatman5

This is very timely. Today I just started experimenting with occupancy sensor for the first time and noticed it wasn't signaling on telenet.I'll move it to my RA2 main repeater (I have Caseta, RA2 Select, and RA2 all running in my "lab" aka home) and not waste time down a blind alley.I will disagree with the comments that RA2 Select seems very limited. I have several clients where RA2 Select was the ideal choice for them over Caseta and they didn't need full RA2.
    They wanted Maestro hardware - especially for custom color selection so only choice was RA2 Select or betterThey needed multiple repeaters - large physical layout - some are multi-floor and need vertical reach with 2 repeaters.They wanted HomeKit - with RA2 Select it is built into the repeater; with RA2 there is the extra cost of the Connect box.They only wanted physical switches and voice control - not interested in Keypads, only a few Picos.
    So in these cases, RA2 Select worked out better. They can always grow into RA2 with a repeater upgrade in the future, unlike Caseta.The RA2 Select repeater uses the Caseta setup and app. Much more accessible to tech savvy clients (but not geek crazy). the RA2 app is older and slightly more awkward to use than Caseta/RA2 app, but the provisioning/programming requires dragging out a laptop and using the very dated Lutron software (works great, but clunky/old school design and methodoloy)

SpivR, the reasons you list are the reasons I tried out Select. But the caveats caused too many issues in my environment. I could work around the occupancy, but the missing advanced programming features on the dimmers is just non-sensical. In the Caseta/Select app, when you edit a dimmer, they add advanced and let you select the trim levels. On that page they just had to add the entries to set the other advanced features and it would have been great. Since they already have the trims in there, they already have the firmware and app setup to do the advanced programming, so adding a few more list items and drop down entries in an app was probably less than a man hour of development. And having spoken with some tier one and tier two support people on the phone it was mentioned that it wasn’t an oversight. During internal beta testing the support teams reported it as an issue, and development told them they would not include those features. So now I’m trying out a full RadioRA2 system, and discover that with the connect hub you can’t use voice control with the Maestro Fan controls. But you can on Select! And Caseta!! WTF Lutron? Seriously, you go into a much more expensive system, and get a lot of great new options (Keypads, etc), but hey, we are going to downgrade your voice control experience, because why? The more I deal with this crap the more I think Lutron’s business model is to sell compromise and disappointment.