Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does increasing ramp time limit LED In-Rush Current?

Does increasing ramp time limit LED In-Rush Current?

I was wondering whether there is any way to limit In-Rush current of LEDs by increasing or decreasing the ramp time. In particular if you have LED MR-16 bulbs on a magnetic transformer. With halogen bulbs on MLV, I was told that it was better to have a 2-3 second ramp time to avoid tripping breakers and overall put less pressure on dimmers or RPMs, but I haven't heard anything about LEDs on MLV or LEDs in general. In other words, would having a 5 second ramp time produce less in-rush current than 0 seconds? What if it was just a switch and not a dimmer at all? Would that help?

In-rush is a function of the load type and size. By adding ramp time you are effectively reducing the initial load. However, in-rush should never cause the breaker to trip. Unless you have the circuit way, way, way overloaded. LEDs on a straight MLV transformer (non-driver) is a bad idea. LEDs generate some high frequency noise. This noise gets fed back through the MLV transformer and it is multiplied by 10. LEDs on a MLV can draw a lot more current than normal. They need the electronics in the driver to regulate the power.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Led

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    In-rush is a function of the load type and size. By adding ramp time you are effectively reducing the initial load. However, in-rush should never cause the breaker to trip. Unless you have the circuit way, way, way overloaded. LEDs on a straight MLV transformer (non-driver) is a bad idea. LEDs generate some high frequency noise. This noise gets fed back through the MLV transformer and it is multiplied by 10. LEDs on a MLV can draw a lot more current than normal. They need the electronics in the driver to regulate the power.
    How much more power LEDs on a MLV gets?
    Regards, Boreithen Showbox

William russ

I'm curious whether the in-rush current that LED drivers are known for are influenced by dimming and if so, do increasing the ramp time help alleviate that? In other words, if you have have the LED lights on just a switch vs. on a dimmer that takes 5 seconds to go from 0-100%, which produces less inrush current?
    I have been Providing Survey Information to Our Customers for 7 Years. Its been a pleasure to serving my customers all these years. I ensure to provide accurate information to my Customers. Keep Visiting Daily Survey Guides for more interesting articles & Bloggs.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    In-rush is a function of the load type and size. By adding ramp time you are effectively reducing the initial load. However, in-rush should never cause the breaker to trip. Unless you have the circuit way, way, way overloaded. LEDs on a straight MLV transformer (non-driver) is a bad idea. LEDs generate some high-frequency noise. This noise gets fed back through the MLV transformer and it is multiplied by 10. LEDs on an MLV can draw a lot more current than normal. They need the electronics in the driver to regulate the power.
    How much more power in increasing ramp time limit LED In-Rush Current?
    watch free movies and web-series for free with, Cinema hd apk, now the best video streaming services in word

If you found an answer then please do let me know. I'm wondering about the same thing as well! Tried to search it on the internet but had no luck but then I found this forum!
    For all the latest nts jobs fans!

How Much power it consumes can you tell it?
    Always be happy! Find NTS Jobs

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Mamie128 thank you for your post.Each LED is different so the amount of power that it can consume will vary. This is due to the that LEDs do not have any manufacturing standards, all LED makers can make LEDs however they like. Lutron does have an app note on LED MR16 with our controls that can be found here at http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/048559.pdf. Hope this helps!

A Light Emitting Diode (LED), also referred to as SSL (Solid State Lighting), is an electronic device (chip) that produces light when an electrical current is passed through it. LED chips are inherently low-voltage devices that need additional electronic components to convert the line-voltage 240V AC to the low DC voltage needed for the LEDs. These electronics units also interpret control signals and dim the LEDs accordingly. These devices are referred to as LED drivers.

Inrush current protection for LED lighting retrofits can be key to a successful lighting upgrade. Retrofit of LED lighting into an existing electrical system relies on the equipment already in place. This can be problematical due to the high inrush current created by the LED drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast