Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: confused about 6nd vs 6na

confused about 6nd vs 6na

ever time i build a project the 6nd keeps poping up for my 12watt led can inserts form lite line but people say to use the 6na? also for a can insert thats 9watts what switch will work? and what switch works with a 4watt led bulb?every thing needs to be dimmed... thanks in advance

The 6ND does forward phase dimming. The 6ND is recommended for MLV dimming since the 6CL is no longer recommended. The 6NA does forward and reverse phase. The 6NA has an auto select option (it will try and determine if forward or reverse is required). I believe the software default "Device Type" is LED/CFL/INC dimmer and the default model is 6ND. It would be awesome if we could change these defaults Mr. Lutron.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Once you select a dimmer in the software, it defaults to the same dimmer the next time you add a new dimmer. Start with the 6NA, and it will stay the same whether a new location or another dimmer in the same box.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

It can be a little confusing. If you change the "Device Type" to ELV/MLV/INC" the default, and only, selection is the 6NA. As SDR-Mike noted, it will stay this way until you change the device type. If you select the "Device Type" LED/CFL/INC the default is 6ND. If you "Choose Alternate Model" it will default back to the 6ND the next time you add a device. My question is, Does changing the device type affect the operation of the dimmer? Would a 6NA selected under device type LED/CFL/INC operate differently than a 6NA selected under ELV/MLV/INC?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

randyc- it won't activate unless you have the device type correct. The old 6D is the odd man out that can activate as the 6CL. So changing the device type cannot change the operation of the dimmer, since you can't add the 6NA as a 6ND. All you have is the advanced properties under the dimmer to force phase control.

that makes sence, but what would be the best switch for single 8 or 9 watt led can? or a singe 4watt led candelabra bulb? this happens a lot, two single bulb sconces in a powder bath is 8 watts led of bulb. lol or that single led can over the tub....

@matalhdmat- run the 6NA, it has a 5w minimum load as opposed the 10W for the 6ND/10ND. May need to force to forward phase for some fixtures.