Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3-Way Switch Without Battery Powered Remote

3-Way Switch Without Battery Powered Remote

Hi All,

Just switched a ton of my home to Lutron and electrician pointed out that the switches I have don't do 3-way (where two switches control the same set of lights). Looking through the products on Lutron's switches I'm only seeing switches that have one connected to power and the other being battery powered.....the electrician said that's less than ideal to have one controller battery powered when we have cords that it can be connected to electric direct.

Is there a 3-way controller where both switches are powered by wall power vs one being battery powered. The only one I found is: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07HM6L4...emc_b_5_t?th=1

Thanks in advance.

Caseta switches (5ANS, 6ANS, 5WS) and select dimmers (10NXD, 5NE) will work with a single, mechanical 3-way switch. Instructions are in the link below.

If you have 3 or more locations you could still use this method but you would need Pico remotes at the other locations.

RA2 Select and RadioRA 2 have companion dimmer/switches which use traditional, line voltage, 3-way/4-way wiring.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

So I just want to clarify, I cannot have two Lutron switches connected to one set of lights unless one of them is battery powered remote? The switches I got were these ones: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Correct. The PD-6WCL you have only supports multi-location control through the use of a Pico (battery) remote.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Oh I can return and replace with something different. But my understanding of what you said and what the manual has is that there is no way to have two connected lutron dimmer switches controlling one set of lights (I can do a manual switch and a lutron but not two lutrons).

Quote Originally Posted by jrubenol View Post
    Oh I can return and replace with something different. But my understanding of what you said and what the manual has is that there is no way to have two connected lutron dimmer switches controlling one set of lights (I can do a manual switch and a lutron but not two lutrons).
    The above applies to Caseta only. RA2 Select and RadioRA 2 use companion dimmers/switches instead of Pico remotes. The companion devices look like the dimmer/switch but do not have LED indicators. They are powered by line voltage (not battery).
    www.convergenceusa.com