Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Indicator lights are working, but the overhead light is not working - dimmer switch

Indicator lights are working, but the overhead light is not working - dimmer switch

I have tried hard Googling my issue, but in every single case I can only find people that say the indicator LED's are NOT on, for me they ARE on - the switch is getting power.
    I have the Wireless Dimmer switch as well as the wireless fan switch. The fan switch is working just great. The lights I cannot get too function. The switch is connected to the black-hot , red-light, green- ground. This set up does work just fine with a normal switch.
    Other facts:
    The disconnect tab is in.
    The installed LED bulbs are dimmable.
    The black-hot is getting power.
    The neutral-white was not needed before for the lights (or fan). I see there is an ELV version?
    This whole set up did not work with incandescents ether. I had those before and bought the stated dimmable LED's just in case that was the problem.

I am just not sure, and I can't get the right keywords to be able to search for my problem.
    Thanks!

Second note: I have tested this with two identical wireless switches. Same problem, but both still have the indicator lights on (Green LED's).
    Thanks again for your help!

What is the model number of the dimmer? The working in the install instructions isn't very clear but... If your dimmer has a neutral connection, you must use it. You may get it to work without it but at some point it is going to do something weird (like this).

First, I would bypass the dimmer and tie the 2 wires from the wall together. If the lights come on, this will verify the wiring to the fan/light.

Switch boxes can have multiple circuits, especially in 3 and 4 gang boxes. Most of the time the neutrals will be separated between the circuit. Make sure you get the neutral for the light from the same circuit as the fan.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes catsartcox liked this post
    When tying the two wires together the light does come on. The dimmer I bought is this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-C...WH-R/206828225
    Just now though, I hoked up the light-red wire to the fan dimmer (in place of the black-fan wire), and the lights came on and is dimmable. I guess this means that when only trying to use a dimmer I do need the white-neutral wire. So I should use the ELV version? right?

Thanks

Your test indicates that the wiring to/from the fan light is good. I am a little confused by your neutral reference. The neutral is the return wire from the load. Since the lights worked with the fan control, the neutral is connected properly. The PD-6WCL does not require a neutral connection.

The ELV dimmer isn't going to help. If the lights dimmed with the fan control they are forward phase/leading edge (same as the 6WCL).

I would try setting the dimmer back to factory defaults. You can find the procedure here:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...structions.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Was there any progress with this? I just attempted to install two brand new dimmers hooked up to a cieling fan (also had fan switch which worked fine). Had the same situation light when wired directly to hot turns on, when wired into the fan controller it works, but neither one of the light dimmers functioned. Ended up putting in a standard switch to at least have lights.

Same Issue

Quote Originally Posted by deauboy16 View Post
    Was there any progress with this? I just attempted to install two brand new dimmers hooked up to a cieling fan (also had fan switch which worked fine). Had the same situation light when wired directly to hot turns on, when wired into the fan controller it works, but neither one of the light dimmers functioned. Ended up putting in a standard switch to at least have lights.
    Has anyone resolved this? I have the same issue. Lights turn on with a normal switch/dimmer. When I hook up any Caseta Dimmer (PD-6WCL) the green indicator light turns on, reacts to the dimmer controls on the switch, but the lights don't turn on at all.

Lutron Technical Support
    Are you using LED lights with your PD-6WCL? Some incompatible LED lights will allow a dimmer to turn on but they do not function properly with a dimmer. We would suggest trying another LED light or an incandescent/halogen lamp to see if it resolves the issue. If it does resolve the issue, it's most likely an incompatibility issue. You can find a list of compatible LED lights @ www.lutron.com/ledfinder .