Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IFTTT integration - IF Pico remote button is pressed then Do something else

IFTTT integration - IF Pico remote button is pressed then Do something else

Hi,

Looking at the Lutron Caseta integration it seems that Lutron Caseta devices can only be triggered in a "then do this" statement not an "if".

In other words cannot do:

IF Pico remote button is pressed then Do something else

but only:

If something happens then trigger Lutron Caseta.

This is really disappointing, I need the Pico Remote to control 3rd party devices (like Philips Hue); So far, my search has been unsuccessful.

Gui

If you have a smart bridge pro and a 3rd party control system what you are trying is possible. However, most of the control systems require an authorized dealer to sell, program and install. With ProControl I can make a processor event based on any button press on a pico and have it trigger any other commands on my system. So i could have it turn on my TV, hue, etc... ProControl requires an authorized dealer to install and program.

If you are more of a DIY'er you could look at RoomieRemote or iRule to see if they offer this level of integration.

If you're an iPhone user, there's a way of doing this using HomeKit triggers. You can have the Pico remote "favorite" button set the lighting to some obscure brightness level, say 3%. Then, using an app like "Eve" (by Elgato - do a search in the app store on "HomeKit" and it will come up), you can set up a trigger to activate whatever scene you'd like when you press the favorite button.

The workflow would be this...

Use the Lutron app to set one of the lights controlled by the Pico remote to the obscure level I mentioned above—this will be your "trigger" light. It can even be one completely unrelated to the lights you're controlling (e.g., a back door light when you're controlling dining room lights. Then, set all the other lights to the level you want associated with the favorite button. Then, store those lighting levels as the favorite setting by holding down the favorite button for six seconds.

Then, go into the Eve app and create a new "Rule." Inside the Eve app, triggers are called "Rules" and can be found by clicking on the "Scenes" button of the main menu. Set the trigger value as the brightness of your trigger light when activated by the favorite button (in my example above, 3%). Then, you can set up a condition if you'd like (e.g., only activate the trigger after sunset). Finally, tell the app which scene you'd like to have activated when that trigger is set off.

It's a bit of a workaround, but it's a great way of getting the Pico remote to control HomeKit devices beyond the Lutron family. For example, I use it to turn on the front door, dining room, and kitchen lights (Lutron controlled) + living room lights (Philips Hue controlled) + yard lights (12 volt lighting controlled by an iHome Smart Switch) when my girlfriend presses the favorite button on the Pico remote. I'll convert all this to a geofence for her when iOS 10 goes live, but in the meantime, it work like a charm.

I should note that I'm running the iOS 10 beta, upon which some of this functionality is dependent. We should see that rolled out to the general public on 9/7.

4. Thanks rgunther, Gator Bite thanked for this post
    @Southbo
    brilliant stuff! I tried the above and it works via Elgato Eve app ! I can finally tie in my Hue and Lutron on a single Pico activated scene.
    i will now play with the rule to see if I can set the various lights at diff dim levels.
    Previously I would use Alexa for Lutron/Hue combos but family would not appreciate me shouting commands late at night.
    i have stock IOS btw

Quote Originally Posted by Blurum View Post
    @Southbo
    brilliant stuff! I tried the above and it works via Elgato Eve app ! I can finally tie in my Hue and Lutron on a single Pico activated scene.
    i will now play with the rule to see if I can set the various lights at diff dim levels.
    Previously I would use Alexa for Lutron/Hue combos but family would not appreciate me shouting commands late at night.
    i have stock IOS btw
    @Blurum,

Glad it worked for you. It's actually a very powerful trick that I've been using extensively. A few additional points for people interested in this "hack..."

- You can use the same technique with IFTTT (ifttt.com + iOS and Android apps) to incorporate other triggers (e.g., if outdoor temp goes above 85°, then trigger "All AC On" scene)
    - You can "clean up" after the hack (i.e., you end up with a random light set to 10/20/whatever brightness somewhere) by having the triggered script set the trigger light to 0

Would love to hear if other people find this technique useful.

@Southbo - strange that my non-hue bulbs(Cree) don't show up in Eve and Siri voice on the hue app. so I can't use them in the workflow. My Philiops made bulbs work fine. Also outside of homekit the Hue stuff is perfect including the Cree made bulbs. Works with Alexa etc. also. I repaired Hue hub to Siri HomeKit but still no go. Looks like a Hue compatibility issue.
    I bought free as I needed daylight 5k bulbs for a couple of areas. Hue does not have a cheap one.
    Also in general - None of the Hue bulbs that do work in the Eve workflow give dimmer capability. This option does show up for thew casita dimmers only.

@Southbo - strange that my non-hue bulbs(Cree) don't show up in Eve and Siri voice on the hue app. so I can't use them in the workflow. My Philiops made bulbs work fine. Also outside of homekit the Hue stuff is perfect including the Cree made bulbs. Works with Alexa etc. also. I repaired Hue hub to Siri HomeKit but still no go. Looks like a Hue compatibility issue.
    I bought free as I needed daylight 5k bulbs for a couple of areas. Hue does not have a cheap one.
    Also in general - None of the Hue bulbs that do work in the Eve workflow give dimmer capability. This option does show up for thew casita dimmers only.
    Philips Hue and ZigBee bulbs do not directly present themselves to the HomeKit API. They do so through the Philips Hue smart bridge hub. So, in order for the Cree bulbs to appear, you'll need to first link them to the Philips hub. I've read conflicting reports as to whether or not Philips is supporting the connection of non-Philips bulbs, but my latest understanding is that they will support the linking of bulbs that are ZigBee compliant (which I believe the Cree bulbs are). Please note, you'll need to have the second generation Philips hub.

All of my Hue bulbs work just fine with dimming capabilities via the Eve app and other HomeKit apps so I'm starting to wonder if you have the latest Philips hub. The first gen one is round; the second one is square.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthboHomeKitGuy View Post
    Philips Hue and ZigBee bulbs do not directly present themselves to the HomeKit API. They do so through the Philips Hue smart bridge hub. So, in order for the Cree bulbs to appear, you'll need to first link them to the Philips hub. I've read conflicting reports as to whether or not Philips is supporting the connection of non-Philips bulbs, but my latest understanding is that they will support the linking of bulbs that are ZigBee compliant (which I believe the Cree bulbs are). Please note, you'll need to have the second generation Philips hub.

All of my Hue bulbs work just fine with dimming capabilities via the Eve app and other HomeKit apps so I'm starting to wonder if you have the latest Philips hub. The first gen one is round; the second one is square.

Hi Southbo,
    to clarify - all my zigbee lights are linked to the Hue 2 square bridge . I have a mix of Philips and Cree bulbs. Both brands work fine from the hue app, switches and Alexa . It is HomeKit Siri voice that only works with Philips , not 3rd party. Philips blocked Siri voice as only their bulbs are HomeKit certified. So even on the hue app Cree won't show up on Siri voice control menu in settings. So it will never work in Eve. So a mixed hue/Cree scene in Eve only turns on Hue bulbs.
    same from Siri voice commands. Non hue bulbs are not supported by Philips for HomeKit

http://www.developers.meethue.com/do...es-and-homekit

Blurum,

Thanks for the link to the statement by Phillips on their support of ZigBee bulbs vs. support of non-HomeKit certified bulbs. Makes perfect sense and would be a major drag were Phillips not making their bulbs available at a price point that is only a bit higher than the cheapest of the clones ($15 vs. $13 on Amazon). Apple is pretty strict about their certifications and I'm just fine with that. Part of what I value in HomeKit is the security layer Apple has put in there to make home automation something that can be trusted.

@Southbo
    i have stock IOS btw
    Any change in the status? I.e. can a Pico directly trigger or is this workaround still (Feb 2018) required?

- - - Updated - - -

@Southbo
    i have stock IOS btw
    Any change in the status? I.e. can a Pico directly trigger or is this workaround still (Feb 2018) required?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast