Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IFTTT integration - IF Pico remote button is pressed then Do something else

No change with how Picos operate

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedi View Post
    Any change in the status? I.e. can a Pico directly trigger or is this workaround still (Feb 2018) required?

- - - Updated - - -

Any change in the status? I.e. can a Pico directly trigger or is this workaround still (Feb 2018) required?

Unfortunately, if you want to use Pico remotes as a way to trigger scenes, you'll still need to use the workaround I describe.

As much as I'd rather stick with the Pico remotes because of their superior design (i.e., consistent appearance with Caseta in-wall dimmers and ability to fit into a standard Decora wall plate), I've added a few Hue remotes to my setup. They don't have a standardized size and thus cannot fit into a standard wall plate, but they do have the very important advantage of being able to independently program all four of its switches using HomeKit. So, you can have four scenes off one remote. Because I can control both Lutron and Hue technology (or ANY other HomeKit compliant device) through HomeKit scenes, this lets me have buttons that control whatever I want. I have one in my Den turning on/off/dimming two different Hue lights (table and floor lamps) and two different Lutron in-wall dimmers (two sets of overhead recessed lights).

Fingers crossed that Lutron is listening and will give us some more options here. Their four button Pico with the same ability to independently address each button to a HomeKit scene would be awesome. I can't see why the hub couldn't capture each button press and map it to a scene. A little reprogramming is all that is needed. It's just typing! ;-)

Good luck!

This is great! I'd love to write about this.

@SouthboHomeKitGuy: This workaround still works great! And with the full-blown Home app plus some other HomeKit-compatible apps with powerful rule generators, this pretty straightforward to set up now. Staples Connect was the only hub I was aware of that let you program Pico remotes to control other devices. This workaround let me (finally) retire my old Connect hub before it ultimately dies on its own someday when the servers stop working.

I'm a blogger and I host a podcast about DIY home automation tech. I'd love to write up something about this trick. I can point to this thread, or if you have this documented somewhere, I'd link there. Please reach out to me at richard [at] thedigitalmediazone.com to discuss.

You can also use a Hue Dimmer switch, it's only $25 and you don't need their hub

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us/p/hue...h/046677473372

- - - Updated - - -

I'm here mostly to add my voice to the chorus asking for the ability to trigger a HomeKit scene from a Pico remotes.

SouthboHomeKitGuy's workaround almost works for the behavior I want, but not quite. The main issue is that it depends on the current state of the "fake" switch, unless there's something I'm missing. The primary use case I have, similar to other people, is that I'd like to have a switch at the front door that can run "I'm home" and "I'm leaving" scenes. The documented workaround would work fine if everyone hit that switch every time they were the last one out or the first one home. But of course sometimes you don't hit the button on your way out the door because lights are already off, or you don't hit it when you get home, because there is plenty of natural light, etc. So I would want the scene buttons to run the assigned scenes, regardless of whether I am "turning on" the fake switch or not. Has anybody built something similar?

Also, AJF4ME, does that Hue Dimmer Switch really work with HomeKit without a Philips hub? The site you linked to says "This product requires a connection to the Philips Hue bridge" so I'll probably need to do a little more homework. If I can use that, it sure sounds like it would solve my problem (if it can run HomeKit scenes, and not just Philips scenes) even though it would not look quite as nice as a Pico, which I can just put into my existing 2-gang wall plate.

Quote Originally Posted by millerkc View Post
    I'd like to have a switch at the front door that can run "I'm home" and "I'm leaving" scenes.\
    Can you not just use the true Pico scene remote? pj2-4b-gwh-p02

6. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJim View Post
    Can you not just use the true Pico scene remote? pj2-4b-gwh-p02
    Based on this other thread, I believe the answer is no, but I would love to be wrong. https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...4-scene-remote

I've been using the HomeKit workaround that @SouthboHomeKitGuy posted about and it works great! Until Lutron gets around to adding Pico's as native HomeKit controllers (please soon Lutron!!) this will work.

I did want to ask about the original question in this thread... Did anything ever figure out a workaround to get a Pico to send an IFTTT command? Reason I'm interested in this is long and complicated but needless to say the previously mentioned HomeKit hack will not suffice. Hoping connecting a Pico to IFTTT is possible... Any ideas?

The original post is almost 5 years old!!! Instead of making the consumer jump thru hoops to get their product to work correctly with IFTTT, has Lutron considered FIXING this issue???? ALMOST 5 YEARS of waiting, still not addressed.

Hi SouthboHomeKitGuy - Apologies, but found this old thread today. I have a caseta smart system and have a bit of a challenge setting up IFTTT to control a switch. My goal: I am changing out my Pool equipment (mechanical timer) to a lutron setup. The challenge is, when it gets below 35 degrees I want to 'turn on' so my pool filter runs. I live in Texas so this does not happen to often but the current system has a freeze guard. How do I utilize IFTTT to 'turn on' my Pool Filter switch when the outside temperature reaches 35 degress or lower? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.JC

Lutron controls WeMo through iOS HomeKit

Hey all, I know this is an older thread and might be OBE. I installed two shop lights with a *WeMo* Mini yesterday and wanted to have those new light activate and deactivate when I turned on the main light in the garage which is on a *Lutron Casetta* switch. I went to IFTTT and, like this thread mentions, you can not use Lutron as the **IF**. Frustrating, because I paid the first month of the new IFTTT PRO service to get an additional IFTTT trigger beyond four. *Grumble*So instead, through the iPhone HomeKit app, you can set a new automation that sees the press of the Lutron switch and turns on the wemo switch. Pretty easy.
    Last edited by gedeyenite; 09-12-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Trying to fix markdown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast