Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Smarthings Hub with Caseta

Smarthings Hub with Caseta

Hello,

I have a SmartThings Hub and a Caseta SmartHub.
    Do I need to have both Hubs online or can I control my Lutron dimmer through the Smartthings Hub and do away with the Caseta hub?

You must have the Lutron bridge. The dimmers communicate with a proprietary RF protocol, so the Lutron bridge is required to control the dimmers. The Smartthings integration is a cloud integration, meaning that your internet connection must also be functional.

Thanks Evan.
    if I want to limit the number of hubs I have is there any way for me to dim the lights using just the Smartthings hub?
    Would i Have to use an LED dimmer other than the lutron?

No. You can't control Caseta devices directly using Smartthings. The Smartthings hub only uses Z-Wave and Zigbee technologies. You could buy a dimmer that uses those technologies, but I've given up on Zigbee and Zwave due to unreliability, slow response time, etc. If you keep your networking equipment somewhere hidden, I don't see why having multiple hubs would be an issue.

I'm not familiar with SmartThings but there are some hubs out there that directly support Caseta. Wink will control Caseta and Serena with no Lutrhon hub required. Wink doesn't have a lot of technical info on their website so I could not find out how many devices it supports.

I have used Wink. I find the interface very clumsy but functionally it works very good.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

6. Likes evankirkhart liked this post