Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Replacement Tubes

Question Replacement Tubes

Hello,

I'm doing some renovation/construction on the home and the windows are getting expanded by about 4-5 inches in length.

I noticed the shades I have (Sivoia Triathlon) can just have their aluminum tube replaced by a longer one, but looking online, I don't see any options to purchase just a tube from Lutron or Lutron dealers.

I called a few shade dealers and all of them tell me there's no options for this (I found that a little odd).

I checked elsewhere online and also found nothing in the 38mm ID spectrum with a similar rib pattern for other roller shades.

Does anyone know where I can find a long tube for these shades? I'd rather to not purchase completely new shades, it just seems way beyond unnecessary. Cutting down aluminum won't be a problem if they're "too" long, and I can worry about the fabric later, this post is just for the tube right now.

Thanks

I'm no shade expert, but I am going to say this isn't going to work. The shades are calibrated from the factory, and adding to them would also require new fabrics (with different weights). The spring inside will no longer be correctly sized for the shade. If you could get it to work, I doubt you'd save much money at all. Sivoia Triathlon shades are quite reasonable, as electric shades go.

You could give Customer Service a shot, but I highly doubt they'll say anything different.
    I'd love to hear other's input on this, I could definitely be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    I'm no shade expert, but I am going to say this isn't going to work. The shades are calibrated from the factory, and adding to them would also require new fabrics (with different weights). The spring inside will no longer be correctly sized for the shade. If you could get it to work, I doubt you'd save much money at all. Sivoia Triathlon shades are quite reasonable, as electric shades go.

You could give Customer Service a shot, but I highly doubt they'll say anything different.
    I'd love to hear other's input on this, I could definitely be wrong.
    Thanks for the reply.

The savings would cut in half at an average quote of 1k+ per shade (Metropolitan). Not to mention what i'm to do with the old shades. We're talking more than 8 shades requiring an extension. Nearly all the shade dealers I called told me it wasn't an option, all except one. This one dealer told me Lutron did offer replacement rollers and because the shade differences aren't very large, the length and weight would be of little concern since I also already had more fabric than I needed on the rollers. If Lutron didn't have the option, they would've made each shade a single piece unit.

I've already factored in the spring and fabric, which is why this is only for the tube, it will work without a problem. I just need to know what the name of this option is on Lutron's side since just about every dealer is clueless on it.

I am going through this with a client. They love the shades but hated the fabric (doesn't block enough sun). Triathlon shades are assembled at the factory. You only have to mount the back plate and snap the shade in place. The process is highly automated. You would need to ship the shade back, manually disassemble it, manually attach new fabric, then get the shade in the production line so it can be tested, boxed and shipped. That process is more expensive than just making a new shade and doesn't take into consideration the cost to Lutron of interrupting the production line.

Could you manually attach a new piece of fabric in the field? Maybe. Alignment of the fabric on the roller is critical. If it is off, even slightly, it can cause telescoping and/or the shade to hang crooked. Would Lutron sell you a new piece of fabric? I don't know. It would certainly void any warranty.

There is typically 1 wrap of fabric on the roller when it is completely down. This is done to ease the tension on the mounting tape. It could be as much as 6 inches, depending on the specifics of the shade and material. If you were to lower the shade beyond this point it would reduce the life of the shade. I have no idea by how much. Larger/heavier shades would pull on the mounting tape more than lighter/smaller ones.

Many dealers add a few inches to the length of the shade. There is a sticker under the fascia. If you contact Lutron with the order number, they can confirm the height of the shade.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Did not work

Quote Originally Posted by Toloma View Post
    Hello, I'm doing some renovation/construction on the home and the windows are getting expanded by about 4-5 inches in length. I noticed the shades I have (Sivoia Triathlon) can just have their aluminum tube replaced by a longer one, but looking online, I don't see any options to purchase just a tube from Lutron or Lutron dealers. I called a few shade dealers and all of them tell me there's no options for this (I found that a little odd). I checked elsewhere online and also found nothing in the 38mm ID spectrum with a similar rib pattern for other roller shades. Does anyone know where I can find a long tube for these shades? I'd rather to not purchase completely new shades, it just seems way beyond unnecessary. Cutting down aluminum won't be a problem if they're "too" long, and I can worry about the fabric later, this post is just for the tube right now. Thanks
    I tried to do it but it did not work for me.

You can absolutely order replacement roller/fabric, and adding a couple inches in length shouldn't make a big difference (Unless you are currently at the edge of the maximums already). Its actually a check box in the ordering process.I'm also suggesting that you check the current length. While I don't typically add 4" or 5" extra to a shade, I do typically add 1" or 2", so whoever did yours originally, may have added enough.How I would handle it, as a dealer? I would come in and extract the programming. Then try to adjust the limits on the existing shades and see what you might be able to get out of them. IF that doesn't work, then order a replacement fabric/roll.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Need Help on how to order replacement Fabric/roll!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    You can absolutely order replacement roller/fabric, and adding a couple inches in length shouldn't make a big difference (Unless you are currently at the edge of the maximums already). Its actually a check box in the ordering process.I'm also suggesting that you check the current length. While I don't typically add 4" or 5" extra to a shade, I do typically add 1" or 2", so whoever did yours originally, may have added enough.How I would handle it, as a dealer? I would come in and extract the programming. Then try to adjust the limits on the existing shades and see what you might be able to get out of them. IF that doesn't work, then order a replacement fabric/roll.

Yes Im curious on how to order replacement fabric/roll? We are a lutron Dealer (newly) and we have a shade that is to short. It goes all the way to the bottom of the window but there is no wrap around on the tube so the tension/weight of shade is all on the tape which has recently fell off the roll. We use MyOrders/MyProjects to order the shades and was wondering how to just get replacement fabric on a tube? If someone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    While you can order a replacement fabric roll for standard Sivoia QS shades, because of the way they are built, it's not possible to change out the fabric roll for a Triathlon shade. You would need to order a new shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    While you can order a replacement fabric roll for standard Sivoia QS shades, because of the way they are built, it's not possible to change out the fabric roll for a Triathlon shade. You would need to order a new shade.
    It is actually a Manual Roller Shade V16 clutch. Can I change out the fabric roll for Manual Roller Shade?

Lutron Technical Support
    Yes, you can swap out the fabric rolls for V8 and V16 manual clutch shades. With V24 shades you have to be careful. If they have spring assist on them, you can't change out the fabric. The entire shade would have to be replaced.