Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Patio String Light bulbs

Patio String Light bulbs

Has anyone had RR2 dimming success with any particular model of bulb like the one in the image below. If so, which bulbs and which dimmer? It's for patio string lights. I think the typical incandescent equivalent would be 11w or so. I'm buying the bulbs separate from the socket string so that I can find something that performs well with RR2. I'll be using 24 or 25 of them.
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	879

Quote Originally Posted by gt3mike View Post
    Has anyone had RR2 dimming success with any particular model of bulb like the one in the image below. If so, which bulbs and which dimmer? It's for patio string lights. I think the typical incandescent equivalent would be 11w or so. I'm buying the bulbs separate from the socket string so that I can find something that performs well with RR2. I'll be using 24 or 25 of them.
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	879
    Use the 10ND with the incandescent. You'll get the softer glow when dimmed than an LED. Otherwise, I would tell you it's going to be a crapshoot. That type of bulb is low quantity manufacturing wise, and may not even be dimmable. Could find a commercial source, however, as this seems to be very popular for restaurants.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I've decided to go the experimentation route. I bought 25 each of two different LED bulbs of this style. They are both listed as specifically dimmable with RRD-10ND and RRD-6NA dimmers. So I'm going to do a test, see which I like better, and return the ones I don't. I'll post the results.

4. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    We just did this with an RR2 system. The issue is that when you get past 15-20 lamps the impedance is so low that you don't get any good dimming response. Our solution was to use a PHPM-PA, which ended up working really well. We used it with a 6ND for control, but before that we tried a 6NA, 6CL and 6ND with out the power booster and had no luck. Didn't try a 10ND. This was a string of about 40 lamps using 2w "dimmable" LED bulbs with an E26 base.