Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best Way to Add Devices

Best Way to Add Devices

I had an electrician retrofit my house with RadioRA2, but I like to DIY the programming side. I took the online course and downloaded Essentials v11.6. One thing I'm struggling with is: what's the best/proper way to add devices (e.g. dimmers)?

The only way I can figure out how is using the Essentials "Design" mode to add a dimmer, and then go to Activate. The problem is, I don't know what to select under "Device Type," and all the dimmers look the same with the face plates on. So I'll try to activate a dimmer, and it'll say, "Nope, sorry, that's NOT an MLV, it's actually an ELV! Try again!"

Is there a way for me to just press a dimmer and have Essentials say, "Okay, cool, your repeater knows what that is. It's an ELV dimmer. What room do you want to add it to?"

I've also been ignoring the Fixture Wattage and Fixture Quantity fields... not sure if that matters or not...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dancole42@yahoo.com View Post
    I had an electrician retrofit my house with RadioRA2, but I like to DIY the programming side. I took the online course and downloaded Essentials v11.6. One thing I'm struggling with is: what's the best/proper way to add devices (e.g. dimmers)?

The only way I can figure out how is using the Essentials "Design" mode to add a dimmer, and then go to Activate. The problem is, I don't know what to select under "Device Type," and all the dimmers look the same with the face plates on. So I'll try to activate a dimmer, and it'll say, "Nope, sorry, that's NOT an MLV, it's actually an ELV! Try again!"

Is there a way for me to just press a dimmer and have Essentials say, "Okay, cool, your repeater knows what that is. It's an ELV dimmer. What room do you want to add it to?"

I've also been ignoring the Fixture Wattage and Fixture Quantity fields... not sure if that matters or not...

Thanks!
    1 - No, there is no way for you to just press the dimmer and have the repeater tell you what it is. If you want you can add into the design each type of possibility such as . Kitchen Fixture 6NA, Kitchen Fixture 6CL, Kitchen Fixture 10ND. Try to activate the 1st and if not successful, proceed to the next until successful. After that delete the extra dimmers.

2 - You can ignore the Wattage and quantity.

11.6 is a couple of years old. If you contact Lutron they can update your My Lutron account, and then you can download the current 12.x software.

Quote Originally Posted by gt3mike View Post
    11.6 is a couple of years old. If you contact Lutron they can update your My Lutron account, and then you can download the current 12.x software.
    Who do we have to contact to update to 12.x? I bought a house with a RadioRA 2 system that needs one new switch and a Connect Bridge added. I took the course and downloaded Essentials 11.6 but the main repeater won't let me load the project file because it was programmed with Essentials 12.0.0.

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd13 View Post
    Who do we have to contact to update to 12.x? I bought a house with a RadioRA 2 system that needs one new switch and a Connect Bridge added. I took the course and downloaded Essentials 11.6 but the main repeater won't let me load the project file because it was programmed with Essentials 12.0.0.
    I have to call the main Lutron support number. I gave them the email address I used to take the course, then they added access to my MyLutron account.