Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: PD-6WCL Dimmer Installation Fail

PD-6WCL Dimmer Installation Fail

Hello...let me throw out a disclaimer that I am not that handy around electrical outlets but I can change a switch. I've successfully instaled 2 PD-6WCL's no problem. This 3rd dimmer is in a box with a single pole flip switch. I've removed the older dimmer..connected the new dimmer as instructed and no power to the dimmer...no LED...I switched black wires just to try it..nothing. I reinstalled the old dimmer...and it works....tried to reinstall another PD-6WCL since I have a few and no luck. It doesn't look that complicated. But nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

If there isn't a loose connection, you should make sure you have a working light bulb installed. These RF switches that don't have a neutral pass electricity through the light bulb in order to operate. Without a bulb, that circuit would be open, resulting in an inactive dimmer.
    If a different dimmer had the same result, this is most likely the issue, or the light bulb can't pass current for some other reason.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply. But....even if it was a bulb issue wouldn't I see the green LED illumination on the side??? When I replaced the Caseta with the old dimmer it worked. I will say that I am replacing Hue smart bulbs with smart switches....not sure if that matters. The Hue bulbs are still in the fixture.

The LED indicators would not function. In order for this to work, the Hue bulb needs to go. Smart bulbs have control circuitry that will not play nice with non-neutral digital dimmers. That should resolve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    The LED indicators would not function. In order for this to work, the Hue bulb needs to go. Smart bulbs have control circuitry that will not play nice with non-neutral digital dimmers. That should resolve the issue.

Interesting....glad I brought that point up. I will give it try this evening. Will let you know. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    Smart Bulbs shouldn't be used with dimmers anyway. They rely on the 100% power they receive from a switch. Dimming them via Caseta/RA/any dimmer is asking for failure of the smart bulb.

I have a LIFX bulb on a RA2 switch. When the switch is off, the bulb loses all control --> no power, no working bulb. If you are ok with this, then go ahead and use switches with smart bulbs. Just seems a bit redundant to have a second control on the bulb unless the brand does not play nice via third party (since Lutron doesn't directly integrate with any smart bulbs).
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Smart Bulbs shouldn't be used with dimmers anyway. They rely on the 100% power they receive from a switch. Dimming them via Caseta/RA/any dimmer is asking for failure of the smart bulb.

I have a LIFX bulb on a RA2 switch. When the switch is off, the bulb loses all control --> no power, no working bulb. If you are ok with this, then go ahead and use switches with smart bulbs. Just seems a bit redundant to have a second control on the bulb unless the brand does not play nice via third party (since Lutron doesn't directly integrate with any smart bulbs).

Thanks for the input. Yes...was not going to use smart bulbs and smart switches together. But just haven't taken off all the smart bulbs yet. This is one of those fixtures. But will try without the Hue's screwed in.

Holy **** it worked!!! Took out the Hue bulbs and it worked. Thanks everyone!

9. Thanks Blair S., evankirkhart thanked for this post
    Likes Blair S., evankirkhart liked this post