Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Dimmable LED Recessed Lights flickering when off.

Dimmable LED Recessed Lights flickering when off.

Hi there - new to this forum, but have been a long time Caseta user. We recently moved to a new construction home, and I have replaced all switches with either PD-6ANS or PD-6WCL. With the dimmers, the LEDs will turn off but have a faint flickering when off. I looked at the compatibility page and do not see these cans listed: Elite REL637-950L-DIMTR-120-30K-90-W-WH. I do see other Elite dimmable cans listed, but I'm hoping this is something simple. Switches range from 2-6 cans per switch and all dimmable cans have the same issue. I'm hoping I do not have to buy new cans for the entire house, as this is again new construction. Any ideas what may be causing this? I do not think it is the trim settings...

Thank you!!

This characteristic is called ghosting. The dimmer passes a small amount of power through it to run the RF radio, allowing it to operate without a neutral. LEDs use so little power that they may never fully turn off if this isn't accounted for in design. To fix this, you have a couple of options. You could get a LUT-MLC for each circuit, which is a dummy load you would wire in the fixture. If you call Lutron support, they might send this to you for free. But it would be preferable to use a neutral-wire dimmer like the PD-10NXD. Neutral availability shouldn't be an issue since it is new construction.

Hope this helps!

3. Likes randyc, SDR-Mike liked this post
    Thank you! I should have gone into more details! That was my suspicion as well. I already ordered one of the PD-10NXD dimmers to test - and will make sure the neutral wire in the circuit is properly bonded to the earth. I have seen in the past earth wires at a very high resistance creating a small current that lights your bulb.

Thanks for the help!