Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: hybrid keypad CL versus non-CL

hybrid keypad CL versus non-CL

I am evaluating hybrid keypads to control light fixtures with LED bulbs. I am looking at the RRD-H6BRL versus the more expensive RRD-HN6BRL. If I do NOT need dimming on these fixtures, will the cheaper H6BRL be acceptable to control these lights? Assuming they don't make a switch only hybrid keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
    I am evaluating hybrid keypads to control light fixtures with LED bulbs. I am looking at the RRD-H6BRL versus the more expensive RRD-HN6BRL. If I do NOT need dimming on these fixtures, will the cheaper H6BRL be acceptable to control these lights? Assuming they don't make a switch only hybrid keypad.
    Either hybrid is a dimmer. You should NEVER use a dimmer on a switched fixture, even if you monkey with fade rates and such. Every time I have seen this tried, either the fixture or the hybrid failed- worse, both. Even with a "0" fade rate, it still ramps up or down, just very fast. This damages the ballast/driver, or feeds back and damages the hybrid.

There has never been a switching hybrid- as much as I and others have asked for the last ten years.

Best bet- hide a switch for your fixture in a closet or on the other side of the wall. Be creative here. Install standard W6BRL and program the buttons appropriately. But don't use a hybrid for a switched load. That's a recipe for a $400+ bottle of Excedrin.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Either hybrid is a dimmer. You should NEVER use a dimmer on a switched fixture, even if you monkey with fade rates and such. Every time I have seen this tried, either the fixture or the hybrid failed- worse, both. Even with a "0" fade rate, it still ramps up or down, just very fast. This damages the ballast/driver, or feeds back and damages the hybrid.

There has never been a switching hybrid- as much as I and others have asked for the last ten years.

Best bet- hide a switch for your fixture in a closet or on the other side of the wall. Be creative here. Install standard W6BRL and program the buttons appropriately. But don't use a hybrid for a switched load. That's a recipe for a $400+ bottle of Excedrin.
    Thanks for the response Mike. My default assumption is that the fixture can be dimmed, it is an outdoor carriage light, with LED bulbs. The question is more about the impact of using LED which don’t require dimming with a non-CL dimmer.

The CL and no-CL versions have the exact same MSRP so you should be able to find them for the same price. The CL version has the same incandescent capacity and a broader LED capacity so I only spec the CL models. It wouldn't surprise me if the non-CL went away soon.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com