Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Specifying & Installing Side Channels

Specifying & Installing Side Channels

what is the proper/correct/best way to measure for side channels? I'm not quite sure how to compensate for the headrail and/or fascia (fabric wrapped); do you allow a gap between the bottom of the headrail/fascia? Do you take the height of the shade, as specified in SCT, and subtract a constant? Does the specified width of the shade change?

What is the "side channel deduct" value used for in SCT?

When installing a side channel, do you install the shade first in order to determine where exactly the shade will travel? Or install the side channel first?

thanks

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Our side channel spec sheet is here.

Due to the abnormalities of window installation, you will want to order the side channel slightly larger than needed and trim it to get the best fit. The length of the side channel will be determined by the distance from the window sill to the pocket or fascia that it meets at the top of the window (see spec sheet).

There is no deduction in SCT if you have side channel. This is assuming a 2.5" side channel aligned with the edge of the bracket/pocket. This would insert 1.75" of fabric into the channel, ensuring a good light seal.

The seal on the window sill could be accomplished with the hembar with wool pile, our sill angle, or something you fashion on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S. View Post
    Our side channel spec sheet is here.

Due to the abnormalities of window installation, you will want to order the side channel slightly larger than needed and trim it to get the best fit. The length of the side channel will be determined by the distance from the window sill to the pocket or fascia that it meets at the top of the window (see spec sheet).

There is no deduction in SCT if you have side channel. This is assuming a 2.5" side channel aligned with the edge of the bracket/pocket. This would insert 1.75" of fabric into the channel, ensuring a good light seal.

The seal on the window sill could be accomplished with the hembar with wool pile, our sill angle, or something you fashion on your own.
    I have set side channel into the window sill with no wool pile to allow the hembar to drop in and help with light block. As long as the aesthetics allow for this it's a simple way to get better light block.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Removing the wool pile will allow a thicker hembar in the side channel without binding. This may assist with the light seal on the window sill. However, removing the wool pile in some cases allows more light around the sides of the fabric, so you no longer have a good seal on the sides of the window.

I'm trying to install 2 shades into a 6x9 pocket with side channels, but with the side channels flush with the walls of the window opening. How do i get the shade into the pocket since the roller will be 3.5" wider than the window opening.

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixSV View Post
    I'm trying to install 2 shades into a 6x9 pocket with side channels, but with the side channels flush with the walls of the window opening. How do i get the shade into the pocket since the roller will be 3.5" wider than the window opening.
    This is a great question and an answer I am looking for as well. I assume that the pocket needs to be wider than the side channels so that you can insert the shade beyond, on an angle and return to the bracket. Not sure how to do this with a 3.5" pocket which doesn't provide much additional depth (height). Any suggestions? The window trim could be installed after the shade but this is asking for trouble if there are service issues.

Lutron Technical Support
    Could you please send pictures of the installation to systemsupport@lutron.com? We would be able to assist you better if we could see what you are referring to.