Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anyone using a dimmer switch for their garage lights?

Anyone using a dimmer switch for their garage lights?

Looking to add an occupancy sensor for my garage lights and between just the standard occupancy sensing switch or the dimmer, I am also adding the companion as it is a 3 way application. Price between the two is small, actually the dimmer might be less expensive as the companion for it is cheaper.

Wondering if anyone uses a dimmer in their garage, on some level it seems silly as I will never dim it but again the cost is negligible

For me, none of the reasons to dim apply. I don't need/want to create scenes or moods. I have fluorescent so energy saving would be minimal. If I had a car worth showing off I would definitely go for the dimmer. If you feel you might dim, go for the dimmer. Keep in mind, the larger the scale of the LED the harder it is going to be to dim.

By the way, most of the sensors can be used with a single, mechanical 3-way switch. This includes the CL dimmer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    For me, none of the reasons to dim apply. I don't need/want to create scenes or moods. I have fluorescent so energy saving would be minimal. If I had a car worth showing off I would definitely go for the dimmer. If you feel you might dim, go for the dimmer. Keep in mind, the larger the scale of the LED the harder it is going to be to dim.

By the way, most of the sensors can be used with a single, mechanical 3-way switch. This includes the CL dimmer.
    Thanks, I don't have a fancy car and even if I do get something nicer the garage isn't really suited to just hanging out in.

My main thought was that I like the way the dimmer wires in with the screw terminals and adjusting it via the pull out switch to kill power and the rocker is nicer than making adjustments to the standard switch, and as I said the cost is identical when you factor the companion switch is $6 more for the switch than the dimmer.

I know I can use a standard 3 way, but it means pigtailing the leads and I have to buy a new 3 way anyway as I am looking to use the claro wallplate with it and right now its a toggle.

4. Likes randyc liked this post