Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Use a wall/ceiling dimmer to control floor lamps?

Use a wall/ceiling dimmer to control floor lamps?

I'm remodeling my place right now and am looking into using Caseta switches extensively. In my living room and all the bedrooms, there are currently switches that control the wall outlets in order to support floor lamps. Would it make sense / work at all if I simply replace the existing dumb wall switches with Caseta wall dimmers to control those outlets?

I know Caseta also makes lamp dimmers but if I use those, the existing in-wall switches become pretty awkward (basically they should always be on and never be touched).

Wall dimmer I'm thinking: https://www.amazon.com/Caseta-Wirele.../dp/B00JJY0S4G

Thanks in advance for the help.

This does work, but is typically against code in most jurisdictions. A "convenience" outlet cannot be dimmed. If someone were to plug in something with a motor, the dimmer could cause the motor to behave incorrectly and start a fire.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    This does work, but is typically against code in most jurisdictions. A "convenience" outlet cannot be dimmed. If someone were to plug in something with a motor, the dimmer could cause the motor to behave incorrectly and start a fire.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Rewire the outlet to be non-switched (easy). Use a plug in dimmer, Replace the wall switch with a caseta pico remote paired to the plug in dimmer - using the wall mount plate in the wall box.

This will be perfect, control it remotely via the app or on a schedule, but when you need manual control it works just as before. Lutron sells a Caseta combo pack with wall plug units and Pico.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan In Az View Post
    Rewire the outlet to be non-switched (easy). Use a plug in dimmer, Replace the wall switch with a caseta pico remote paired to the plug in dimmer - using the wall mount plate in the wall box.

This will be perfect, control it remotely via the app or on a schedule, but when you need manual control it works just as before. Lutron sells a Caseta combo pack with wall plug units and Pico.

Alan
    This solution uses 2 devices per each outlet, and you still have the problem of the plug in dimmers sticking out from the wall. If you are worried about being against electrical code, try using the Caseta On-Off switch, #PD-6ANS-WH.

The Caseta On-Off switch, #PD-6ANS-WH is only rated to 6A so not sure that is really a safe solution either, and you have no dimming. Yes it's a cleaner look not to have a plug in unit, but it very much depends how visible that is in a given application. At least with the plug in and remote you can choose ANY hidden outlet within reach to use.

It all depends.

Alan