Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caseta ELV dimmer

Question Caseta ELV dimmer

I have an ELV (electronic low voltage) fixture with a Maestro ELV dimmer.
    I would like to replace this dimmer with a Caseta Wireless compatible dimmer.

Any suggestion?

Do Lutron have plan to offer a Caseta ELV dimmer ?

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post

Any suggestion?

Same question here. Caseta is a great solution for me moving forward, but currently have part of house invested in MR16 (and LED retrofits) for ELV fixtures with Maestro or SPACER infrared dimmers. Would be great to have a Caseta compatible solution for ELV.

rknox

Quote Originally Posted by rknox View Post
    Same question here. Caseta is a great solution for me moving forward, but currently have part of house invested in MR16 (and LED retrofits) for ELV fixtures with Maestro or SPACER infrared dimmers. Would be great to have a Caseta compatible solution for ELV.

rknox
    I understood that most (not all) 12 volt MR 16's were used with magnetic transformers.
    When I last scanned the Lutron Bulb list I am not sure that I saw any 12 volt LED MR 16's that were compatible with Caseta.
    Perhaps the new Pro dimmer which is rated for MLV will change that?

Quote Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
    I understood that most (not all) 12 volt MR 16's were used with magnetic transformers.
    When I last scanned the Lutron Bulb list I am not sure that I saw any 12 volt LED MR 16's that were compatible with Caseta.
    Perhaps the new Pro dimmer which is rated for MLV will change that?
    hgmobile,
    Yes I believe low voltage lighting can work with both MLV and ELV. All my fixtures are ELV; hence my Maestro and SPACER dimmers are ELV. So, short of pulling it all out and starting over, a Caseta ELV dimmer is what I am looking for. Wondering if anyone from Lutron is monitoring posts?

rknox

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post

Any suggestion?

Currently, the only way to control ELV loads with Caseta, is to use the PD-10NXD-(color), neutral based dimmer, and have it wired to the PHPM-PA-120-WH interface. The PHPM-PA can control ELV loads. You can then go here: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-...merMatrix.aspx , and find which LEDs can be controlled via the PHPM-PA by selecting it in the "Lutron Control" section of the LED Product Selection Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    Currently, the only way to control ELV loads with Caseta, is to use the PD-10NXD-(color), neutral based dimmer, and have it wired to the PHPM-PA-120-WH interface. The PHPM-PA can control ELV loads. You can then go here: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-...merMatrix.aspx , and find which LEDs can be controlled via the PHPM-PA by selecting it in the "Lutron Control" section of the LED Product Selection Tool.
    Brian,
    Thanks for this. Nice to see that there is at least a solution. If I understand the PHPM interface, this would go 1:1 with a dimmer, that is, if I have 3 separately dimmed circuits today, I would need 3 Caseta dimmers and 3 PHPM-PA modules?
    If so, this would be a rather expensive solution. Any comments on whether there will be a ELV capable dimmer in the Caseta line in the future?

Thanks,
    rknox

Brian,
    Thanks for this. Nice to see that there is at least a solution. If I understand the PHPM interface, this would go 1:1 with a dimmer, that is, if I have 3 separately dimmed circuits today, I would need 3 Caseta dimmers and 3 PHPM-PA modules?
    If so, this would be a rather expensive solution. Any comments on whether there will be a ELV capable dimmer in the Caseta line in the future?

Thanks,
    rknox

Bumping this post. We are running into this issue several times now. Really hoping for an ELV Caseta dimmer. Any updates on this?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Brian,

Thanks,
    rknox
    That is correct, you would need 3 separate PHPMs if you have 3 circuits you wish to control separately.

Thank you for the feedback about an ELV dimmer. I will be sure to pass along your product request to our engineering team for future consideration.
    Last edited by Kevin P.; 11-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach R. View Post
    That is correct, you would need 3 separate PHPMs if you have 3 circuits you wish to control separately.

Thank you for the feedback about an ELV dimmer. I will be sure to pass along your product request to our engineering team for future consideration.
    Hey Zach -- Please remind engineering that the ELV dimmer should be high priority. I, like I'm sure many home owners, have several single MR16 ELV dimmers throughout the house that I cannot dim with the rest of the lights. Is there any timeframe on the development on this?

Quote Originally Posted by wirelesshunter View Post
    Hey Zach -- Please remind engineering that the ELV dimmer should be high priority. I, like I'm sure many home owners, have several single MR16 ELV dimmers throughout the house that I cannot dim with the rest of the lights. Is there any timeframe on the development on this?
    I second this, an ELV Caseta dimmer is very much missing from the product lineup. Although the documentation makes it very complicated to find out if viable solution already exists, as it is divided across so many different documents. After reading as much background as I can find, I'm still unsure if existing solutions can be made to work. I'll put some information below, and perhaps fellow forum users can clarify if these options are technically possible or not?

My application: I'm installing LED tape lights in a kitchen. This is a "new" installation of these lights, not a retrofit of existing lights. Load will be approximately 50W net. Because it is being installed in a finished kitchen, the switch will be in a very inconvenient location (I'm taking out a receptacle and replacing it with a dimmer switch). I would like to use the Caseta series so I can use the Pico remotes to have the lights controlled from a better location. I'd like to stay in the Caseta family (rather than Maestro) so that I also get Lutron Hub support. As far as I can tell, these are the options for how to make this work properly

1) Use a Caseta dimmer with support for ELV loads, and use an ELV transformer to control the LED lights. Pico remotes would provide remote control of dimming. As far as I can tell this dimmer does not exist.
    2) Use a Caseta neutral switch and and an ELV transformer. Will also required a LUT-MLC installed. This would sacrifice dimmer capabilities, but allow remote control of On/Off.
    3) Use a Caseta dimmer PRO switch with support for MLV transformer. Use a magnetic MLV transformed to control the lights. This seems like it would provide remote dimmable control of the lights (Downside is the size and cost of the MLV transformer). It also seems this must be a PRO dimmer and not a standard casita dimmer.
    4) Use a Caseta dimmer with a Lutron series Hi-Lume LED driver (Hi-Lume A Series of perhaps H series). If I read it properly appears if the Lutron driver is used, then a normal switch without ELV support can be used? I'd love to confirm this.

Can anyone weight in on if I've read the documentation correctly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast