Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caseta ELV dimmer

Lutron Technical Support
    Your choices are to either:
    1) Use either the PD-5WS-DV + LUT-MLC, or PD-6ANS non-dim switches.
    2) Use PD-10NXD dimmer + PHPM-PA interface on an ELV transformer.
    3) Use PD-10NXD dimmer + MLV transformer.
    4) Use PD-10NXD dimmer + Lutron Hilume A-series 2-wire LED driver.

Well, Lutron came through with the PD-5NE-XX Caseta ELV dimmer, http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Products.aspx. Just ordered my first one ...

Looks like these are now readily available at Amazon and Home Depot for $99.99

Quote Originally Posted by smart_home_guy View Post
    Looks like these are now readily available at Amazon and Home Depot for $99.99

Don't forget your friendly neighborhood electrical distributor. Some of us are brave enough to stock them.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

5. Likes Zach R., devin liked this post
    There is one review for this switch on Amazon but I've yet to find a review that compares this switches LED dimming capabilities to the non-neutral wire switch's capabilities. I know a couple of people here have purchases it....wish one of you guys could report your findings. :)

Mine's still not installed as it's part of a remodel. But I've also never used the non-ELV version, so I can't really compare.

Quote Originally Posted by devin View Post
    There is one review for this switch on Amazon but I've yet to find a review that compares this switches LED dimming capabilities to the non-neutral wire switch's capabilities. I know a couple of people here have purchases it....wish one of you guys could report your findings. :)
    From seven years experience with LEDs and RA2, Neutral wire dimmers/switches are ALWAYS better than the non-neutral counterparts. Hands down. Caseta dimmers are based off the Maestro line which is the basis for RA2 as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by devin View Post
    From seven years experience with LEDs and RA2, Neutral wire dimmers/switches are ALWAYS better than the non-neutral counterparts. Hands down. Caseta dimmers are based off the Maestro line which is the basis for RA2 as well.

9. Likes Gator Bite liked this post
    You are right. I guess I was hoping to hear that it was not much of a difference so I could save some money buying the regular switches.

- - - Updated - - -

You are right. I guess I was hoping to hear that it was not much of a difference so I could save some money buying the regular switches.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    From seven years experience with LEDs and RA2, Neutral wire dimmers/switches are ALWAYS better than the non-neutral counterparts. Hands down. Caseta dimmers are based off the Maestro line which is the basis for RA2 as well

As someone new to this could I ask why? or is it situational? I have been using the non neutral casetas for a while now (couple of years) and have had no issues to speak of, then again I don't have anything elaborate in terms of lighting just some standard 5" cans with LED bulbs and other contractor grade fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by bozack View Post
    As someone new to this could I ask why? or is it situational? I have been using the non neutral casetas for a while now (couple of years) and have had no issues to speak of, then again I don't have anything elaborate in terms of lighting just some standard 5" cans with LED bulbs and other contractor grade fixtures.
    I am usually specifying dimmers prior to construction and without a fixture schedule. Neutral wire dimmers have someplace for the "noise" that gets created by dimming the driver to go. In your situation, the C*L type non-neutral dimmer is designed for a majority of situations where it is a screw in type bulb. But I have had other sources (fans, motors, other dimmed LEDs) on the same circuit which created flickering issues. Neutral dimmers will almost always correct that situation. The money isn't that much more- consider it cheap aspirin compared to troubleshooting some designer's weird European fixture the electrician had to modify for USA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast