Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 6 single dimmers vs Grafik Eye QS?

Question 6 single dimmers vs Grafik Eye QS?

In Short
    In a Radio RA2 setup, does the Grafik Eye QS controller replace 6 single RA2 dimmers in a 6 gang box?

Summary
    I talked to a Lutron sales and support rep and received an odd suggestion, but maybe there's just some confusion on my end....

I went with the Radio RA2 because I need everything to be wireless, there's no options for wiring anything (dimmers, switches, sensors, etc) behind a wall, but there's is a panel box in the corner where the lighting will feed to, which will house all the units.

I was told that I had to get a gang of dimmers in order to manage my dimming zones. As in, a physical gang box, with single RA2 dimmers. I doubted it since I had already seen the Graphik Eye Zone Controller (QSGRJ-6P or LQRJ-WPM-6P) in the model list for RadioRA2 compatibly.

The documentation says it will act like 6 dimmers in a gang, and allow me to bypass the whole single RA2 dimmers in a 6 gang box situation. Maybe I'm reading the purpose of the Graphik Eye wrong.

Now reviewing the product line again, working on the final deign of the panel for wiring, I wanted to confirm that I can just order the Graphik Eye instead of 6 RadioRA2 compatible dimmers installed in their own 6 gang box?

My lights are twelve 3" recessed 6w Integrated LED spotlights. There will be 4 dimmer zones.
    ]

Lutron Technical Support
    The QSGRJ-6P or LQRJ-WPM-6P are like having 6 dimmers in one. They fit into a standard 4-gang wall box (we recommend using a 3-1/2" deep wall box).
    See http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...le_for_web.pdf and http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...HWQS%20WPM.pdf.

If you are planning on using LEDs with these units, we have an LED tool that will show the LEDs that we've tested and approved to use on these units.
    This tool can be found at www.lutron.com/ledtool .

The LQRJ is only available in 6-zones and requires a 4-gang box. It has a single button on the front so you really need something else to control it (like the RA2 system).

The QSGRJ is available in a 4-zone model and all models require a 4-gang box. It has a full user interface so it can operate locally and/or from a RadioRA 2 system. The 4-zone model is still more expensive than the LQRJ.

The RA2 dimmers are more flexible. You can have 2 at the door, 2 at another door, and 2 in the closet if you want. They don't all have to be in the same gang-box. You also have more LED options and capacity with individual dimmers.

Individual dimmers are less expensive than a Grafik Eye. You are paying for features you don't need like the Astronomic clock (RA2 has a better one). The RA2 app is better for making adjustments to settings.

The Grafik Eye is better at receiving IR commands.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    The QSGRJ-6P or LQRJ-WPM-6P are like having 6 dimmers in one. They fit into a standard 4-gang wall box (we recommend using a 3-1/2" deep wall box).
    See http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...le_for_web.pdf and http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...HWQS%20WPM.pdf.

If you are planning on using LEDs with these units, we have an LED tool that will show the LEDs that we've tested and approved to use on these units.
    This tool can be found at www.lutron.com/ledtool .
    Thanks Brian,

I'm also very curious about the difference between the QSGRJ-6E and QSGRJ-6P in compatibility with Radio Ra2?

They keep showing up when reviewing Radio Ra2 and wiring documentation, but never together at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The LQRJ is only available in 6-zones and requires a 4-gang box. It has a single button on the front so you really need something else to control it (like the RA2 system).

The QSGRJ is available in a 4-zone model and all models require a 4-gang box. It has a full user interface so it can operate locally and/or from a RadioRA 2 system. The 4-zone model is still more expensive than the LQRJ.

The RA2 dimmers are more flexible. You can have 2 at the door, 2 at another door, and 2 in the closet if you want. They don't all have to be in the same gang-box. You also have more LED options and capacity with individual dimmers.

Individual dimmers are less expensive than a Grafik Eye. You are paying for features you don't need like the Astronomic clock (RA2 has a better one). The RA2 app is better for making adjustments to settings.

The Grafik Eye is better at receiving IR commands.
    Thanks for the reply,

You mean 6-zone for the QSGRJ.

I think I'll go with the QSGRJ-6P (at least until I find out the difference between that and the QSGRJ-6E)

The "P" indicates phase control technology. It is typically used with incandescent, halogen, magnetic low voltage and LED. It requires an interface to control electronic low voltage.

The "E" indicates EcoSystem technology. EcoSystem is a 2-wire, low voltage system used to dim fluorescent and LED. The E series is more expensive plus you have to run a LV wire to all the fixtures. Plus you have to add EcoSystem drivers/ballast. Plus you can NOT use the E series in a RR2 system.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

8. Likes Toloma liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The "P" indicates phase control technology. It is typically used with incandescent, halogen, magnetic low voltage and LED. It requires an interface to control electronic low voltage.

The "E" indicates EcoSystem technology. EcoSystem is a 2-wire, low voltage system used to dim fluorescent and LED. The E series is more expensive plus you have to run a LV wire to all the fixtures. Plus you have to add EcoSystem drivers/ballast. Plus you can NOT use the E series in a RR2 system.
    Thanks for the explanation !

10. Likes randyc liked this post