Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RadioRA 2 Occupancy sensor reporting (disabled and vacancy mode)

RadioRA 2 Occupancy sensor reporting (disabled and vacancy mode)

Right now I am still in the planning phase as I will be closing on a new bigger place in a couple days. I currently have Caseta all over my apartment and it works great. My only issue is is regarding the lack of native motion sensors. I currently use Z-wave sensors with Home Assistant and I hate the delay and the fact that there is a Lack of Zwave OCCUPANCY sensors.

Anyways i've purchased a bunch of RadioRA 2 occupancy sensors and I have learned that there isn't NATIVE way to set an alternate dimming level for night time. This is very important to me since I need my light levels to be much lower than the day levels. It seems the only Native way to do this would require two motion sensors per location which probably isn't going to look very good (enabling one at night while disabling the daytime one with a timeclock) .

I can easily fix this using a home automation program that can see the telnet status of the occupancy sensors. My question is will the Occupancy sensors still report its status when disabled OR in Vacancy mode only?

I figured i would keep the native "light on" trigger during the day and at night use the HA program to create a night based automation. Im just not sure if the motions sensors will still report motion Occupancy Via telnet if disabled/in Vacancy mode.

I assume you have Radio Powr Savr sensors? HomeWorks supports conditional logic and you can use RPS sensors with HQS.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I assume you have Radio Powr Savr sensors? HomeWorks supports conditional logic and you can use RPS sensors with HQS.
    Yeah I understand I could switch everything to HQS but I have already everything for RadioRA 2. I dont want to go with HQS solely to automate night time lights especially when I will have a home automation system regardless for other applications.

Quote Originally Posted by benjimatt View Post
    I figured i would keep the native "light on" trigger during the day and at night use the HA program to create a night based automation. Im just not sure if the motions sensors will still report motion Occupancy Via telnet if disabled/in Vacancy mode.
    I could test it at some point this week, but from what I understand, occupancy/vacancy sensors are one-way devices (basically a pico activated by motion), so the sensor itself always broadcasts occupancy/vacancy commands. The main repeater or the loads most likely are just ignoring those commands at certain times. My guess is that you would still see the occupancy/vacancy status messages via telnet... but that is just an educated guess at the moment

5. Thanks Joe M. thanked for this post
    Likes benjimatt, Joe M. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
    I could test it at some point this week, but from what I understand, occupancy/vacancy sensors are one-way devices (basically a pico activated by motion), so the sensor itself always broadcasts occupancy/vacancy commands. The main repeater or the loads most likely are just ignoring those commands at certain times. My guess is that you would still see the occupancy/vacancy status messages via telnet... but that is just an educated guess at the moment
    This would be great if you could test it for me!!! That is what I am hoping the case is.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this working. The RPS sensor is generating a "Clear Connect" signals that RadioRA is interpreting and generating the Telnet signals. If you tell RA2 to ignore that signal (disable), I'm thinking RA2 will quit generating feedback for it.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this working. The RPS sensor is generating a "Clear Connect" signals that RadioRA is interpreting and generating the Telnet signals. If you tell RA2 to ignore that signal (disable), I'm thinking RA2 will quit generating feedback for it.
    ugh thats what im afraid of. All else fails ill just have to have 2 sensors per location that needs night modes.

The occupancy sensors will generate Telnet traffic on the main repeater as long as it's included in the system. You don't have to program the system for the sensor to control any dimmers.

I use Hubitat to do all conditional programming for my dimmers including occupancy/vacancy and mode. To Hubitat the Lutron occupancy sensor is just another motion sensor, just like Z-Wave or ZigBee. In searching, I'm not sure if Home Assistant's Lutron component capabilities include occupancy sensors or not. If it does, then it will work the same as Hubitat.

10. Thanks benjimatt thanked for this post
    Likes benjimatt liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by rapamatic View Post
    This is correct. The sensor status will always display in the Telnet integration regardless of how it is programmed in the system. You can see the syntax on page 140 of the integration protocol.
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...rary/040249.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    The occupancy sensors will generate Telnet traffic on the main repeater as long as it's included in the system. You don't have to program the system for the sensor to control any dimmers.

I use Hubitat to do all conditional programming for my dimmers including occupancy/vacancy and mode. To Hubitat the Lutron occupancy sensor is just another motion sensor, just like Z-Wave or ZigBee. In searching, I'm not sure if Home Assistant's Lutron component capabilities include occupancy sensors or not. If it does, then it will work the same as Hubitat.
    Hey ill be using hubitat also (Switching from home assistant) good to know that it is going to work.

Is the timing still pretty quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast