Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor Controls

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    Going back to the status quo, where items are only rated 32+ operating conditions. Could a wired keypad be installed in a weather resistant outdoor enclosure and simply be active yet not used below 32? I understand that it's operating even if not pressed, so I assume the answer is no. However, if it could just sit there, I can't imagine needing to use the keypad below freezing anyway. What about for a Pico? I guess there's not too much to lose if one gets destroyed, and one could even take the pico in seasonally since they're so easy to pull out. Picos are clearly nice because they don't have enough power to create a safety issue. Thoughts?
    The RadioRA 2 devices will not function properly when going below 32 degrees F. Keeping the devices in an environment below 32 degrees F is not recommended even if they are not being used.

I think you bring up a good option about using the Pico in a weather resistant box and bring it in seasonally when the temperature drops. This would make it easy to remove and bring in to avoid any issues with temperature drops and then replace once the temperature comes back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    The RadioRA 2 devices will not function properly when going below 32 degrees F.
    Why? Just curious. Is it because of the radio, or the actual hardware?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Components inside the devices are not rated below 32 degrees. By placing the devices in an environment outside the rated temperature range, the device may prematurely fail.

Just bumping this. Lots of benefits to having more control. Wishing more existed right now.

I have come across this a few times. For one client I found a waterproof infrared remote and integrated it into the system. Then later on my own house, I wanted to control the lighting from my hot tub, so I put an old android smart phone in a waterproof case that allows it to be charged while in the case..... and I use the app and phantom keypads I programmed into the system to control what I want to. works great, and I would do that for my next client who asked for an outdoor all weather control. You can buy used older smart phones for next to nothing that don't have cell service but run apps and connect to your network.

I know this is an old thread but came across something that made me look up specs... Couldn't believe that the LMJ 16r dv that looks like a weatherproof nema device is in fact not, it is indoor only with same operating range...Application examples: Beach house - new building rules basically makes the whole ground level a flood zone so must be careful about the controls used down there... It would be really nice to be able to mount these near the outdoor transformer for landscape lights even on normal houses for retrofit but I guess that is not going to happen.

I have (4) RRD-8ANS switches controlling (4) NSi TORK TPX300 Low-Voltage 300-Watt Safety Transformers which power my outdoor VOLT LED landscape lights (VAL-180-4-BBZ). I used an IP66 / IP68 rated case from Polycase.com (https://www.polycase.com/yh-100804). There are accessories displayed below the product. I used the YX-1008K Panel and the Panel Hinge Kit. You have to get out the dremel with a metal blade in order to cut the panel to accommodate the switches. After everything was installed, I programmed my keypads to control the respective RRD-8ANS switches while, at the same time, still have full accessibility to the physical switches themselves. The blue color is the protective plastic atop the case. I have not removed it yet because I am doing other work.

8. Thanks CustomT_AV thanked for this post
    Likes CustomT_AV liked this post
    I also use a similar, smaller case to house a Lutron Relay which I can use to control my misting system.

Quote Originally Posted by radioRA2automation View Post
    I have (4) RRD-8ANS switches controlling (4) NSi TORK TPX300 Low-Voltage 300-Watt Safety Transformers which power my outdoor VOLT LED landscape lights (VAL-180-4-BBZ). I used an IP66 / IP68 rated case from Polycase.com (https://www.polycase.com/yh-100804). There are accessories displayed below the product. I used the YX-1008K Panel and the Panel Hinge Kit. You have to get out the dremel with a metal blade in order to cut the panel to accommodate the switches. After everything was installed, I programmed my keypads to control the respective RRD-8ANS switches while, at the same time, still have full accessibility to the physical switches themselves. The blue color is the protective plastic atop the case. I have not removed it yet because I am doing other work.
    That is a downright professional looking installation! That box is reasonably priced too.

We still have the temperature issue though. Electronics just don't like extreme heat or cold.

I do have some coastal installations. If I install devices outside I try and make it the companion dimmers (lower cost). I tell the home owner - this is the worst possible conditions: extreme heat, extreme cold, and salty air. It will fail in 4-5 years. They understand that.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    That is a downright professional looking installation! That box is reasonably priced too.We still have the temperature issue though. Electronics just don't like extreme heat or cold. I do have some coastal installations. If I install devices outside I try and make it the companion dimmers (lower cost). I tell the home owner - this is the worst possible conditions: extreme heat, extreme cold, and salty air. It will fail in 4-5 years. They understand that.
    Thanks. I live in South Florida and it has been over 100 with the heat index. Humidity is pushing 80% this summer. I am curious to learn how long they will last, but I love being able to control my landscape lights from the keypads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12