Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lights Flash with PD-6WCL

Lights Flash with PD-6WCL

I've read through a few of the posts about similar problems that were resolved, but I can't seem to resolve mine.

I've tried 2 PD-6WCL-WH-R single-pole wireless dimmers. One controls a switch for 2 Philips Hue A19 White Ambiance bulbs (21 total watts), the other controls a switch for 3 Philips Hue E12 White Ambiance bulbs (18 total watts). My old house has no neutral wire and there are no ground wires to the switch boxes. I replaced the existing toggle switches with Caseta Wireless PD-6WCL-WH-R switches to control and automate the LED lights.

The problem in both cases is that the lights just Flash about once per second. I followed the instructions to trim on both switches, but that did not resolve the problem. Both switches are on the same circuit to my kitchen, so I removed one Caseta switch, but the problem still occurred on the remaining switch. So now I've removed them both. Before I return them, I thought I would check here to see if I should try something else.

I believe the Hue bulbs are designed to work with a Hue bridge or Hue remote (stick). They have the ability to change color (50,000 shades of white) as well as dim. Dimming the line voltage going in probably the cause.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

randyc is right, the Hue bulbs are designed to work with a constant power. Putting them on a dimmer runs the risk of destroying the bulb. Hue has it's own "switch" to operate, or use the app or voice control. Original switch should be blanked off.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thank you both for that information. I thought I was good since the Philips A19 bulb is right at the top of the compatibility list, but it didn't occur to me to check that the Philips Hue A19 was compatible.