Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-5NE and Triglow LED still VERY FAINTLY on.

PD-5NE and Triglow LED still VERY FAINTLY on.

I am by no means a electrician but was able to install the Lutron Dimmer PRO which i bought off of amazon and oddly the packaging was in spanish...Anyway it works great but i noticed that when the switch is off and it is PITCH BLACK (i mean if there is any light at all it is not noticeable) but the lights are barely on and some of them flicker and some of them will stay on at a very low level.

I switched it out with the bulb that came with the house a Feit 2700k 650lm bulb and these do not have the issue

I double checked the switches are in ELV mode as well.

Any help would be great, I really like the 3500k color so would greatly appreciate any help keeping these bulbs

TriGlow T99014-6 (6-Pack) LED 11-Watt (65W Equivalent) BR30 Light Bulb, 800 Lumen, DIMMABLE 3500K (Deco White Color) E26 Base, UL Listed LED Light Bulb

From the picture on Amazon, it seems this bulb is designed to use "leading edge" or forward phase dimmers, as opposed to reverse phase or ELV dimmers, also referred to as "trailing edge". You should be able to switch the dimmer to forward-phase; have a look at page 74 of this document for instructions https://www.casetawireless.com/docum...ced%20inst.pdf.

If that doesn't work, you could try the PD-10NXD (it is forward-phase only), it might do better. LED dimming technology is such a wild west that there is no way to accurately predict performance.

Hope this helps,
    Evan

3. Thanks dkdkdk123 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    From the picture on Amazon, it seems this bulb is designed to use "leading edge" or forward phase dimmers, as opposed to reverse phase or ELV dimmers, also referred to as "trailing edge". You should be able to switch the dimmer to forward-phase; have a look at page 74 of this document for instructions https://www.casetawireless.com/docum...ced%20inst.pdf.

If that doesn't work, you could try the PD-10NXD (it is forward-phase only), it might do better. LED dimming technology is such a wild west that there is no way to accurately predict performance.

Hope this helps,
    Evan
    is forward phase same as MLV? Will this make the LED buzz again? I got the pro dimmers because of the buzz which it did get rid of lol.
    I called Lutron, they said they will send me the LUT-MLC part and hopefully that will solve my problem?

While i was trying to figure stuff out on my own today I noticed that when i put a single Sylvania 3500k bulb into the circuit my problem of "ghosting"? was solved! Problem is the Sylvania bulb even thought rated at 3500k does not look the same color and it turns off more abruptly than the Triglow's.

Yes, forward phase is the same as MLV. The LUT-MLC helps with an insufficient minimum load, which doesn’t sound like your issue. However, if they sent it, put it in and see what happens. The Sylvania is probably designed to accept forward phase (MLV, leading edge) and reverse phase (ELV, trailing edge) while the Triglow is forward phase only.

6. Thanks dkdkdk123 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    Yes, forward phase is the same as MLV. The LUT-MLC helps with an insufficient minimum load, which doesn’t sound like your issue. However, if they sent it, put it in and see what happens. The Sylvania is probably designed to accept forward phase (MLV, leading edge) and reverse phase (ELV, trailing edge) while the Triglow is forward phase only.

So i followed what you suggested and switched it to MLV. Unfortunately the lights still stayed ever so faintly lit even after i turned the switch off and the buzzing came back from the bulbs as well. Swithced it back to ELV and hoping the LUT MLC cable Lutron is sending me fixes my problem.