Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Using Picos to control scenes including non-Lutron devices

Using Picos to control scenes including non-Lutron devices

I’ve been reading up on this topic in various places and wanted to summarize what I’ve seen in the hopes that someone can validate the process. The write ups have been mainly for the 3-button Caseta-type Pico (round button in the middle), so I want to ensure this will work with the Scene Picos as well.

Goal: Allow a Lutron 2- or 4-button Pico (PJ2-2B and PJ2-4B) to control non-Lutron devices.

Requirements (for RA2 Select customers):
    - 1 Lutron plug-in dimming module (RR-3PD-1)
    - 1 or more Lutron 2- or 4-button Pico remotes (PJ2-2B or PJ2-4B)
    - A home automation (HA) system that a) can recognize the plug-in module and b) can execute scenes based on triggers from that module (for iOS customers this means the Home app and the free Eve app).

Setup:
    1. Add the plug-in dimming module to your Lutron system and assign it to an imaginary/unused room. Do not attach any light or other device to it unless you want the attached device to behave erratically.
    2. Assign your Pico(s) to this same imaginary room.
    3. Configure the each button on each pico to a UNIQUE dim level to the plug-in module (i.e., a percentage value between 0% and 100%).*
    4. In your HA app, create scenes for the device(s) you want controlled by the various Pico buttons (e.g., Hue bulbs, door locks, etc.)
    5. In your HA app, Assign those scenes to the trigger of the dimming module being set to a specific dim level (e.g, “run scene X when dimming module is set to Y%). Note: Because the Home app on iOS doesn’t expose triggers, a free 3rd party app like Eve is required.

Result:
    Pressing pico button sends command to the Lutron dimming module to dim to, say, 5%. The HA system then executes the scene assigned to the 5% trigger.

*Step 3 is my biggest open question. I have setup Picos for a particular room (10s hold, assign to room), but I have never set one up to assign a button to a specific dim level. Can this be done without access to programming tools?

Secondarily, can the bottom Pico button be configured this way or is it always an “off” button?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you have.

I have a couple of concerns but I think it is worth a try.

QS systems may be better but in previous generations I don't think the accuracy was there. If you pushed a button to send the lights to 50%, the actual level might be 49% or 51%. The HA system might not recognize that as 50%.

I don't know what kind of feedback CAS/R2S generates. In the HA systems I have seen, they incorporate the CAS/R2S devices directly into the HA system. That way they don't have to deal with feedback, communication, etc. I don't know if a stand-alone CAS/R2S generates external feedback that can be interpreted by a HA system.

If your HA system supports adding CAS/R2S devices the only question is, can it interpret the signal and generate a secondary command?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Thanks Tim T thanked for this post
    That flow will generally work for HomeKit devices in a HomeKit environment.

But as randyc said, it's probably better to get the RA2 Select system more directly integrated with the non-Lutron components.

IMO the best current HA integration is Hubitat - it's cost-effective and doesn't require one to learn a programming language. Others that work are HomeSeer and Home Assistant. SmartThings maybe too. The Hubitat, HomeSeer, Home Assistant integrations all work with Lutron via Telnet, which is local. SmartThings works via the cloud (internet).

The benefit of the Telnet integration is that one can use Picos to trigger anything that the HA system do. Not just Lutron actions. The HA system "sees" the Pico button push (via Telnet) and takes action based on the button.

My general flow is to program Lutron device actions directly in Lutron software. Then in the HA system layer on non-Lutron devices.

5. Thanks Tim T thanked for this post
    Thanks guys. I got the lamp dimmer module and it seems to work perfectly with the 3-button pico I have on hand. I’m able to have it set the dimmer module to 5% and then have the Eve app trigger a HomeKit scene based on that event (using the Eve app).

Here’s what I don’t know: When I get the 2- or 4- button Scene picos, how do I assign each button to a specific dim level? Is it just pressing and holding the button until the light flickers?

I’ll check out Hubitat too!