Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I use Caseta switches to turn pool pump and heater on / off

Can I use Caseta switches to turn pool pump and heater on / off

I currently have an Intermatic Timer for cycling my pool pump and heater. These are on two different wall switches controlled by the timer. I would like to replace all with Caseta Switches and program the cycles with the hub. Is this possible?

TIA

Robb

Yes, however ... given the wattages and types of loads involved with the pump and heater ... you would likely need to use the Caseta switches connected to a couple of relays which in turn control power to the pool devices. It is not hard, you just need to find space for the relays and get the right 120 VAC relays.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    relays which in turn control power to the pool devices.
    Exploring relays I come across the term "Dry contact" Can the Caseta switches perform as "dry contact"? Should I be looking at other relays?

Thanks for your help,
    Robb

First thing I would do it get the voltage and current ratings off of the pump and heater. With those I would start looking for solid state isolated relays to match. Make sure you get a 120VAC control voltage relay (there are many different types of relays driven by many different voltage levels and AC/DC variants.)

IF you post your ratings I can propose a few relays which may work for your situation if you have room to mount them.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    First thing I would do it get the voltage and current ratings off of the pump and heater. With those I would start looking for solid state isolated relays to match. Make sure you get a 120VAC control voltage relay (there are many different types of relays driven by many different voltage levels and AC/DC variants.)

IF you post your ratings I can propose a few relays which may work for your situation if you have room to mount them.

-Matt
    Thanks for the offer Matt. I got 2 Functional Devices RIB2401SB relays and installed them in the pump room. The switches are a distance away near my WAP and they are working perfectly now.
    My next move is to program them for 2 on/off cycles each day. I am trying to understand scenes and schedules now. What is the best way to approach this? Once set I don't think I will need to change it.

Robb

The schedules are pretty straight forward. You will need to set up 4 of them (or 8 if you want the pump and heater to be on different schedules.) You set up one each for the time you want the devices turned on, and then one each for the off cycle.

Truly, anyway ... given the wattages and kinds of burdens engaged with the siphon and warmer ... you would almost certainly need to utilize the Caseta changes associated with two or three transfers which in turn control power to the pool devices. It is not hard, you just need to find space for the relays and get the right 120 VAC relays.

Can you explain how the relays were wired?

Quote Originally Posted by rcmcdee View Post
    Thanks for the offer Matt. I got 2 Functional Devices RIB2401SB relays and installed them in the pump room. The switches are a distance away near my WAP and they are working perfectly now.
    My next move is to program them for 2 on/off cycles each day. I am trying to understand scenes and schedules now. What is the best way to approach this? Once set I don't think I will need to change it.

Robb