Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Maestro Dimmer turning on adjacent dimmer

Maestro Dimmer turning on adjacent dimmer

I have two sets of dimmers (3-way setup: MACL-153MLH-WH and MA-RR-WH) on the same circuit in the same gang boxes powering two sets of LED lights (
    Lithonia Lighting WF6 LED 40K MW M6 13.6W Ultra Thin 6). One dimmer powers 8 leds and the other powers 7 leds. What I have noticed is that when I turn one of the 153 dimmers on shortly thereafter (3 minutes) the other dimmer turns on at the lowest setting. There are other pieces of equipment on the circuit including a TV. It is also on a GFCI breaker. What is causing this and what can be done to fix it? Thanks.

It sounds like you have the output of 1 dimmer wired to the input of the 2nd dimmer. Dimmers don't like to be dimmed. Once voltage drops below a certain point, they will start doing weird things.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    It sounds like you have the output of 1 dimmer wired to the input of the 2nd dimmer. Dimmers don't like to be dimmed. Once voltage drops below a certain point, they will start doing weird things.
    No not the case. Both dimmers were actually working ok for a month or so and still do work when you push the buttons. One just eventually turns the other one on after a few minutes but only at a low level. I have a feeling it is something along the lines of interference...

The next thing I would check is the neutrals. if the neutrals are crossed it could cause the issue.

I've never had a GFI cause interference with a dimmer, even a controlled dimmer (like RA2 dimmer). It's not out of the question though.

The TV is an easy test. Unplug it and see if the problem goes away.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The next thing I would check is the neutrals. if the neutrals are crossed it could cause the issue.

I've never had a GFI cause interference with a dimmer, even a controlled dimmer (like RA2 dimmer). It's not out of the question though.

The TV is an easy test. Unplug it and see if the problem goes away.
    Wiring seems to be okay. I will note that there is a third non-dimming toggle switch that in this 3 gang box that when on stops the issue.