Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Requirements for Marstro?

Requirements for Marstro?

I purchased a Maestro C-L (MACL-LFQ) to gain voice activated control of a a Honeywell ceiling fan/light. The Honeywell switch only had 2 wires, fan and power. When I installed the Lutron I connected both red and yellow to fan and power to screw terminal. No response from the switch period. Setup says your bridge is not connected. My router monitor says a device is offline.

1. What is maestro and Caseta difference?
    2. Does this switch require a hardware bridge. Alexa says I need to add the skill to the app.

What’s up

The MACL is a stand-alone control. It does not have a radio or any way to communicate with a system.

Caseta devices have radios built-in. They can be controlled by a Lutron system (Caseta Bridge required) or some systems can control Caseta devices directly. Amazon communicates with the Caseta Bridge, not directly with the dimmer.

RA2 Select is similar to Caseta but uses Maestro style dimmer (with radios) vs Caseta-Pico style dimmers. RA2 select can also do 100 devices vs 50 for Caseta. Each 3-way/4-way switch counts as 1 device in Caseta. RA2 select only counts 1 switch per circuit.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

That explains a little

Randyc
    Thanks. Sounds like I don’t need more hardware, but a different app. I was very surprised that the Honeywell switch only had 2 wires. One to power and one to fan. Not sure how it differentiates fan and light signals. There must be smarts in either the switch or fan itself.
    Connecting both fan and light wires of the switch to the fan wire in the box got me nothing. A device called Repeater showed up on my router devices as off line. When enabling Lutron skill on Alexa, it said I needed to add a bridge. Any idea if the bridge is hardware or software

That explains a little

Randyc
    Thanks. Sounds like I don’t need more hardware, but a different app. I was very surprised that the Honeywell switch only had 2 wires. One to power and one to fan. Not sure how it differentiates fan and light signals. There must be smarts in either the switch or fan itself.
    Connecting both fan and light wires of the switch to the fan wire in the box got me nothing. A device called Repeater showed up on my router devices as off line. When enabling Lutron skill on Alexa, it said I needed to add a bridge. Any idea if the bridge is hardware or software

The Honeywell uses one of 2 methods - it sends a Powerline-carrier (PLC) signal over the line-voltage wire to a receiver in the fan, or it sends an RF signal to a receiver in the fan.

There is a new Caseta fan speed control (PD-FSQN-XX). It is fan only and needs to see the motor (i.e. no receiver).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com