Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Strange issue with Lutron app triggering events on a control system processor

Strange issue with Lutron app triggering events on a control system processor

Having a very strange situation at a client’s second home in Southampton with Lutron and triggering events on an RTI control system processor based on button presses of virtual keypads. Virtual meaning that the keypad does not actually exist in the home, it is just a fake keypad set up so that it appears in the Lutron app when the client is not home. By creating events based on button presses of the keypad, I am able to do some automation such as opening and closing his front gate to the estate.

I am having a problem when the client is remote, but here is what I set up:

• Created a tabletop “virtual” table-top keypad and have buttons 6, 7 and 8 dedicated to Gate Open, Gate Close & Gate Hold.
    • In the RTI control system processor, I have events set up to open and close contacts for the above tasks when it senses that the buttons are pressed.
    • When the client presses “Open Gate” on his Lutron Home+ app the RTI system triggers the gate open, and so on.

The events work perfectly when the client is on the local network when he is at the Southampton house. The events work perfectly when the client is using his cellular service. However, the vents DO NOT work when the client is at his NYC apartment on his local Wi-Fi.

The client is using his Android phone for the Lutron app and the rest of the family are using their phones with the same problem.
    Am I missing something relevant to this issue? The client does not have a lighting system in NYC. As soon as he turns off the local Wi-Fi (in NYC) the procedure works perfectly.

I suspect it has to do with the LAN addresses and that the Lutron app doesn't realize it needs to be trying to talk to a remote system when it's on the LAN at the house. What's the address of the local LAN for each location?

Are you talking about the public address? This is the information configured in the repeater:

The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
    The Gateway address is 192.168.0.1
    The System Address is 239.234.20.257
    The Remote Programming Address is 192.168.0.66 (same as local IP for main repeater) / Port is 51023
    The Preferred DNS Server is 192.168.0.1
    The Alternate DNS Server is 8.8.8.8

The public IP from whatismyip.com is 104.148.251.80 (In Southampton)

All works well there when the client is on the local wireless network or is using remote access from the app. The only time it does NOT work is when he is on the local Wi-Fi network in NYC. Do you need the public IP address from NYC? (Dont have it right now)

Thanks for the help

What's the local LAN address in NYC? Is it also 192.168.0.X? If so, I suspect the app can't tell you're in a different location, so it's trying to access the repeater on the local LAN instead of using remote login. Unless there's a way to force remote login in the app, I think you're going to need to change the LAN address in one place or the other. NYC is probably easier, since you don't have a repeater there to deal with.

So I will have to change the local subnet in NYC to match that of Southampton? One thing I forgot to mention is that the lights work. It's only a virtual keypad that does not. It's strange. The clients lights respond, its only that virtual keypad that don't...

Quote Originally Posted by totalcontrol View Post
    So I will have to change the local subnet in NYC to match that of Southampton? One thing I forgot to mention is that the lights work. It's only a virtual keypad that does not. It's strange. The clients lights respond, its only that virtual keypad that don't...
    OK, hold on. I thought you were saying nothing worked from the app when remote. If SOME things work, then forget all that above. That's not the problem.

So direct control of the lights, etc, from the app works when remote? Thermostats? Shades? It's only a virtual keypad that doesn't work?

And that same virtual keypad does work when on the local LAN with the repeater, or when on cell data? That's very strange.

Yes, my apologies. The lights work fine - no matter what. Maybe this is a limitation. The keypad does not actually exist on the system, so obviously it has never been activated. I wonder if I need a real device - maybe a pico - or something that is physically present and activated on the system.

Sorry, I've run out of ideas on this. I can't think of any reason that commands for one device would make it through the network and the other wouldn't.

Others have reported in the RTI control forum that one possibility could be that the ISP is blocking one or more relevant ports that is creating this issue for remote access. However, there still is the fact that the lighting works. Lutron has a support file. This is most confusing. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.