Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Plug in lamp dimmer inside of low voltage transformer

Plug in lamp dimmer inside of low voltage transformer

Hello

I have a low voltage lighting system for outside and was wondering if it is possible to use a caseta plug in dimmer inside the transformers housing unit? currently I have a GE zwave switch that the transformer plugs into, but the Lutron would give me the ability to dim.

I know the Lutron says indoor rated only, didn't know if there were temp considerations.

Thanks

You responded in a previous thread that you had found this won't work.

The outdoor transformers are rarely sealed well enough.

Radio devices inside the metal box will (usually) not work- the transformer when the lid is closed will act a a Faraday cage and block all radio.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

My exterior landscape lighting it powered by Caseta switches (even dimmed) ... the key for me was I could place the transformer and switch inside the house, just pulled the low voltage wire out as needed. If you can do this, it can make a lot of things associated easier, but if retrofitting, may be a tougher situation. Might be able to add an external switch box to the ambient light sensor knock out of the transformer, just gotta find a well sealed box.

4. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    If the transformer box has a standard 110v plug input, you could try putting a weatherproof plastic box next to it, moving the power feed to the plastic box. Then you would have a weatherproof, not metal box for wiring up a plug-in switch.

Haven't done this with Lutron, but have a similar box working for an outdoor water fountain. I had an electrician install the box and move the power input, and I used a Wi-Fi switch plug, so might work with Lutron.

Can you explain what setup you have for this or post photos? I have new landscaping and am getting ready to put in lighting, I would like it to be Caseta compatible and dimmable. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SpivR View Post
    If the transformer box has a standard 110v plug input, you could try putting a weatherproof plastic box next to it, moving the power feed to the plastic box. Then you would have a weatherproof, not metal box for wiring up a plug-in switch.

Haven't done this with Lutron, but have a similar box working for an outdoor water fountain. I had an electrician install the box and move the power input, and I used a Wi-Fi switch plug, so might work with Lutron.
    This is the easiest solution, it does work. Better if the switch/dimmer is inside the house. OP stated he wanted to use the plug in dimmer, and that is a recipe for failure.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols