Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Caseta > RA2 Select when it comes to LED support without Neutral Wire?

Caseta > RA2 Select when it comes to LED support without Neutral Wire?

Hello,

I am strongly debating which route to take for my old built house without neutral wire in my switches. I was almost determined to go with RA2 Select, and completed online course, ordered Main Repeater and RRD-6CL switch. As I plan my first wiring, I wanted to make sure using the compatible/best LED. I then realized following two potential issues with RA2 Select option.

1. 6CL has no direct writing in regarding to LED minimum load. It says 50W for MLV, but I am fairly certain that's not the case for LED as most LED aren't that high. In fact, on Amazon it says 5W. However, one contradiction is RA2 Essential App when designing takes out 6CL from its valid option if I entire LED light wattage as 9W.

2. List of supported LED on RRD-6CL is extremely small when compared to counterpart Caseta dimmer without Neutral wire requirement. Considering RRD-6CL is so much more expansive (3x), is it real that this device has far smaller LED compatiblity?

49 to 95 device support, potential upgrade to Radio 2, and more supported devices including motion sensor are all great, but fundamental lack of LED support seems a major downside of RA2 system when it comes to simple dimmer option. Am I correct on this?

Can’t speak to the 6CL issue, as the Caseta I’ve moved to Ra2 Select I’ve been using the 6ND model. However, two things:

1. You don’t need the training for Select, or the software. Select uses the same app as Caseta, and the Select Main Repeater looks just like the Caseta one except black instead of white. You only need the training and essentials or inclusive software for full Radio RA2.

2. Other downsides to RA2 Select. You lose all the advanced programming features on the dimmers except for trim. They also support setting the on dimmer LED light levels, fade up time, fade down time, and setting a pre-set level to always turn on to when physically pressed. You can program all those when you use them stand alone, peer-to-peer with Picos/Occupancy, and in full Radio RA2. But if you pair the device with Select it wipes any settings and the app has no way to set them. Also Occupancy sensors aren’t available on the telnet integration.

Like you said, the maestros cost a bit more than the Casetas, presumable at least partially for those features. Kind of a slap to the face to pay that and your dimmers are hobbled.

3. Likes TechFocus liked this post
    LED control designs vary greatly even within the same manufacturer. One bulb may require a 5w minimum load and another might require a 10w minimum.

The approved list is a great tool but don't get too hung up on it. There are lots of options that will work but just haven't been tested by Lutron.

The wattage in the software doesn't affect function. You can put in any number in that field.

R2S also uses remote dimmers/switches that don't require an RF address.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

5. Thanks TechFocus thanked for this post
    Thanks guys for replies.

I went for RA2 Select. What I have discovered is that Lutron has two website for LED compatibility tool. The one I originally kept looking was outdated (but first to show up on Google search).

So for those of you wondering like myself RRD-6CL dimmer having far less compatible LED, check this real site.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-...merMatrix.aspx

Their datasheet is pretty good as it even tells you trimming for specific bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Parr View Post
    Can’t speak to the 6CL issue, as the Caseta I’ve moved to Ra2 Select I’ve been using the 6ND model. However, two things:

2. Other downsides to RA2 Select. You lose all the advanced programming features on the dimmers except for trim. They also support setting the on dimmer LED light levels, fade up time, fade down time, and setting a pre-set level to always turn on to when physically pressed. You can program all those when you use them stand alone, peer-to-peer with Picos/Occupancy, and in full Radio RA2. But if you pair the device with Select it wipes any settings and the app has no way to set them. Also Occupancy sensors aren’t available on the telnet integration.
    Now that I have a few RRD-6CL switches installed, I agree and I wish I can change fade up/down time.