Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Installing single dimmer and 3 way switches on existing wiring for digital dimmer?

Installing single dimmer and 3 way switches on existing wiring for digital dimmer?

Hello, Just joined the forum. Just thought I'd ask a direct question first:

Currently I have an older electronic master dimmer with 3 other companion dimmers installed, that all can turn lights on and off, or dim from all four locations.

Can I remove these old dimmers and install a new LED compatible regular master dimmer with three, 3 way regular on/ off switches with the existing wiring or is the existing wiring specific to electronic switches only and not compatible with basic style switches and dimmers? I do realize that with a regular single dimmer and 3 other switches on the same circuit I will only be able to dim from one location which I prefer.

Thank you for any direction that may be avail. through this forum 🙂

John

2. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello Iigwyd,
    Thank you for your post! If you currently have one master Maestro dimmer with three companion dimmers installed, you could move the master Maestro dimmer that you're currently using to the Maestro C.L (MACL-153M) dimmer and keep the companions in place so you still have the ability to dim the lights from your four points of control. You cannot install any of our maestro dimming controls in a 4 way application or greater with mechanical switches in the other locations, they would have to be the companion dimmers.

Our analog dimming controls, like the Diva DVCL-153P can be installed in a 4 way application with mechanical switches in the other wallboxes.

Hope this info helps!

-JustinF.