Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How do i connect to HRP5-120?

How do i connect to HRP5-120?

I have a client from 2007/2008 with a Homeworks Illumination system with 2 HRP5-120's. Project is in the Phoenix AZ area and we are based in Chicago. I am planning a phone call for some basic troubleshooting to see if i can determine what the issue is.

According to this http://www.lutron.com/technicaldocum...processors.pdf i can connect a computer to the processor directly by using an ethernet crossover cable. Can anyone confirm that?

I found a basic troubleshooting guide in this document http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...y/043-203a.pdf

Are there any other guides available with blink codes or anything like that?

Thanks.

I never had any luck with crossover cable direct to a P5 processor. I'd recommend RS 232 connection to any processor you haven't worked on before.

Blink codes ETC can be found in HWI program help file - search 'processor troubleshooting'

If the system is down and doesn't seem responsive:
    1. flip dip switch 1 on the config switch - Boot - to ON.
    2. cycle power to the processor.
    3. once it powers up, flip dip switch 1 back OFF.
    4. cycle power again.

Sometimes that will help a P5 that won't boot. If it still doesn't work after that you'll need to completely rebuild the file. If you have the file obviously that makes recovery simpler. Without the file I'd weigh the price of a complete upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    I never had any luck with crossover cable direct to a P5 processor. I'd recommend RS 232 connection to any processor you haven't worked on before.
    I only installed a few of the HRP5-120's and they were all over 10 years ago so i cant remember if i was ever able to connect to them with ethernet. I shipped a cable to the client. I guess i better ship a USB to DB9 cable also.

Quote Quote
    Blink codes ETC can be found in HWI program help file - search 'processor troubleshooting'
    Perfect! Exactly what i was looking for.

Quote Quote
    If the system is down and doesn't seem responsive:
    1. flip dip switch 1 on the config switch - Boot - to ON.
    2. cycle power to the processor.
    3. once it powers up, flip dip switch 1 back OFF.
    4. cycle power again.

Sometimes that will help a P5 that won't boot. If it still doesn't work after that you'll need to completely rebuild the file. If you have the file obviously that makes recovery simpler. Without the file I'd weigh the price of a complete upgrade.
    I have the latest file...assuming the client made no changes since original installation. I don't know what state the processor is in right now. I don't know if it powers up at all or just has a dead display or what. Hopefully i can get it working. Thanks.

You won't need a crossover cable if the processor is on the LAN and properly addressed, etc. You only need the crossover if you are connecting without a network. If that is the case, I'd go with Digit1's recommendation and us RS232.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com