Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caseta Compatible Waterproof Outdoor Plug/Switch

Caseta Compatible Waterproof Outdoor Plug/Switch

Looking to stay in the Caseta family for plug in outdoor switches that I can use for my landscape transformers and Christmas lights during the season. Does anyone make a product that will work with the Lutron/Caseta system or am I relegated to the less reliable Wifi options?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    Looking to stay in the Caseta family for plug in outdoor switches that I can use for my landscape transformers and Christmas lights during the season. Does anyone make a product that will work with the Lutron/Caseta system or am I relegated to the less reliable Wifi options?
    Can you run a PD-6ANS from the inside of the house to control the exterior outlets? That's the "proper" way from Lutron. What is the set up of the existing outlet, surface mount or recessed?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

All 3 of the outlets I want to control are on 3 different strings of surface mounted exterior duplex boxes that run back to a main breaker box (hard wired with no switches).
    None of the outlets are currently switched and are located at different points around the exterior of the house. Currently the landscape transformers are plugged into them and the only control I have for timing are old analog timers located inside the transformer stainless steel cases that I can unplug and bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
    All 3 of the outlets I want to control are on 3 different strings of surface mounted exterior duplex boxes that run back to a main breaker box (hard wired with no switches).
    None of the outlets are currently switched and are located at different points around the exterior of the house. Currently the landscape transformers are plugged into them and the only control I have for timing are old analog timers located inside the transformer stainless steel cases that I can unplug and bypass.
    Relatively "easy" fix- Replace surface boxes with two gang. Power one half of the duplex for constant power. Power a Caseta switch or dimmer next to the duplex that controls the other half of the duplex. Not the best or prettiest solution, but if sealed correctly and the proper in use cover installed, it will work. Your mileage may vary on the longevity for the switches, but I've seen this work for years when properly done.

Lutron will recommend against this, BTW. Their solution would be the best- isolate the switch leg/circuit controlling the outlets, and run a switch inside the house to control them.

I've got a similar situation with an exterior light switch that I would like to automate with a PD-6ANS and control remotely. There is no interior switch that controls this circuit.

The switch is in a "weatherproof" plastic box. Any tips/tricks to keeping a
    PD-6ANS happy in this type of location?

Quote Originally Posted by OncoByte View Post
    I've got a similar situation with an exterior light switch that I would like to automate with a PD-6ANS and control remotely. There is no interior switch that controls this circuit.

The switch is in a "weatherproof" plastic box. Any tips/tricks to keeping a
    PD-6ANS happy in this type of location?
    Try and find the older style of cover that just has the cover, no portion of the cover that sticks out to allow a cord to exit (in-use style cover). Pass & Seymour used to make a really nice stainless with gaskets. You may also be able to find a silcone cover, silimar to what they would cover a switch with in restaurants.

I wish I saw this earlier, I am in the same boat but read that the casetas might not work well for holiday lights.

For the landscape lights I was thinking of just putting a plug in dimmer inside the transformer case but not sure how long that would last or if it might damage the system.

now I am thinking I might split the exterior outlet so that one half is switched and use a caseta indoors and the other half is always on.

Quote Originally Posted by bozack View Post

now I am thinking I might split the exterior outlet so that one half is switched and use a caseta indoors and the other half is always on.
    Disregard this, just read that it isn't possible.

Lightbulb What about the maestro appliance plug-in control

I have the same need. I was thinking this might work: MRF2-15APS-1-BL MRF2 PLUGIN APPL MOD 15A ("Electronic Plug-In Dimming Module with Radio Frequency Receiver")It's from the Maestro line, but apparently is controllable via pico.Would it be possible to plug this in, connect the pico controller to manage it, and then control the pico remote via the Caseta/lutron app?(first post - apologies if digging up an old thread is bad form here)

@bigbilly- no this won't work. The Pico transmits and the MRF2 would pick up the signal. In Caseta, the Pico is received by the SmartBridge and then the SMB transmits a signal to the corresponding switch or dimmer. This would work if you were using the Pico to turn on something else in Caseta and then wanted to add the MRF2, but it would only work from that specific Pico- not the app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast