Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What happened to 3-wire phase dimming?

What happened to 3-wire phase dimming?

I was specifying some LED lighting and noticed that the manufacturer, who used to provide a Lutron 3-wire phase dimming driver as an option, no longer does. They said that the driver is no longer available from Lutron, and the suggestion was to use 2-wire phase dimming instead.

The fixture I was looking at was USAI B3RW, which used to offer a -D4 driver option. That looked like this, having a distinct “DL” or “dimmed hot” wire in addition to the “L” or “switched hot”. I was planning on mixing that with compatible RRD-F6AN-DV dimmers.

With the -D3 2-wire phase dimming driver, I’d be using RRD-6NA dimmers instead, with “dimmed hot” only. But I found the apparent discontinuance of the 3-wire phase driver somewhat surprising, because to me, it’s electrically cleaner to separate power (L) from control signal (DL).

Does anyone know what happened to the 3-wire phase dimming system? Lutron’s site doesn’t seem to mention it anywhere since the latest driver revamp.

2. Thanks Justin F. thanked for this post
    Likes Justin F. liked this post
    They have been phasing them out for some time. My guess is that it is a low-margin line for them and others make an acceptable product. I've even seen references to Advance and Sylvania in some of their literature. That's a hard 180 from the fire an brimstone lectures we used to get about the world ending if we didn't use Lutron ballast/drivers with Lutron dimmers.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Thanks supermarket, Justin F. thanked for this post
    Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Agreed..I have been hearing it since a long time now..Thats an obvious thing now