Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Homekit App has No integration with other vendor Honekit devices, scenes, rooms, etc.

Question Homekit App has No integration with other vendor Honekit devices, scenes, rooms, etc.

New Homekit enabled bridge and dimmers all setup. iOS Homekit Apps are supposed to automatically recognize devices and scenes and rooms from other Homekit enabled devices from other vendors.

Only the Lutron gear is shown in the app (dimmers and Pico remotes).

The Lutron app apparently doesn't have Room management.

Why is the Lutron Homekit enabled app not able to see other HomeKit devices from other vendors?

If you are curious, download the Elgato Even iOS app and look around to see what's where.

It's will be interesting to see what gets said about this. I have a different understand of how HomeKit and Lutron would work together but have heard little about the rooms and zones. I have an app you might want check out too MyTouchHome. It is supposed to help with management of rooms and zones. There a know issues with rooms and zones, don't put one room in two zones because homekit doesn't know what to do.

My understanding is Lutron won't seen anything non-Lutron because Lutron is clear connect (434mhz) not zigbee/vwave etc. The bridge does talk to some thermostats over TCP/IP. Maybe we will see tcp/ip communication with other systems in the future but I don't see any reason why Lutron would bother. That's homekits job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeetal View Post
    It's will be interesting to see what gets said about this. I have a different understand of how HomeKit and Lutron would work together but have heard little about the rooms and zones. I have an app you might want check out too MyTouchHome. It is supposed to help with management of rooms and zones. There a know issues with rooms and zones, don't put one room in two zones because homekit doesn't know what to do.

My understanding is Lutron won't seen anything non-Lutron because Lutron is clear connect (434mhz) not zigbee/vwave etc. The bridge does talk to some thermostats over TCP/IP. Maybe we will see tcp/ip communication with other systems in the future but I don't see any reason why Lutron would bother. That's homekits job.
    The Caseta Wireless Lutron App should see other HomeKit devices from other vendors JUST like the Elgato and Insteon Apps for HomeKit do. HomeKit communicates via iCloud and homekit bits in iOS and the Apps communicate with the HomeKit bits in iOS. The Elgato Apps and Insteon Apps can control the Lutron Caseta Wireless dimmers and those devices from Lutron can be assigned to Rooms and Scenes from inside the other vendor apps. And the devices and scenes work just fine from those Apps. The HomeKit compliant devices have both the vendor proprietary channel and the HomeKit compliant pieces. You can build an App on the Mac to control Hue lights via HomeKit.

And with HomeKit, names are exclusive, devices can be only assigned to one room, but can be used in multiple scenes.

Seeing other companies devices is not a requirement of HomeKit. It is optional. Lutron is a lighting control company not a home automation company. I agree with Lukeetal, I don't think you will see Lutron venture into controlling other devices anytime soon. They are good about letting other people control their products not the other way around.

You can setup Rooms and Zones in Settings > Siri Integration.