Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No response from dimmer switch after install

No response from dimmer switch after install

I'm in the middle of upgrading all of my switches to Caseta dimmers. My house is old enough to not have a neutral wire. Everything has been going great with a combo of those dimmers and GE Reveal LED bulbs everywhere.

I went to install the dimmer on the switch controlling my porch lights. The porch lights are Progress Lighting LEDs P6085 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Progress-Li...STAR/999993662

After I wire them up, the little tiny LEDs don't light up, the buttons don't work, etc. I've tested the Caseta switch on other places, and it works fine, so its not the switch. I can hook up a normal switch and it turns the LED porch light on and off, and I've even hooked up a Lutron Skylark dimmer switch and it works fine, and the dimmer functionality works.

Is this particular LED porch light fixture just not going to work with Caseta?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth65 View Post
    I'm in the middle of upgrading all of my switches to Caseta dimmers. My house is old enough to not have a neutral wire. Everything has been going great with a combo of those dimmers and GE Reveal LED bulbs everywhere.

I went to install the dimmer on the switch controlling my porch lights. The porch lights are Progress Lighting LEDs P6085 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Progress-Li...STAR/999993662

After I wire them up, the little tiny LEDs don't light up, the buttons don't work, etc. I've tested the Caseta switch on other places, and it works fine, so its not the switch. I can hook up a normal switch and it turns the LED porch light on and off, and I've even hooked up a Lutron Skylark dimmer switch and it works fine, and the dimmer functionality works.

Is this particular LED porch light fixture just not going to work with Caseta?
    That fixture is dimmable via the ELV dimmer PD-5NE. From my experience, you need the neutral wire with those. If you don't have a neutral, the dimmer will not function. It is not recommended to run a PD-6WCL for that fixture.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    That fixture is dimmable via the ELV dimmer PD-5NE. From my experience, you need the neutral wire with those. If you don't have a neutral, the dimmer will not function. It is not recommended to run a PD-6WCL for that fixture.

OK, so I'm trying to use the PD-6WCL, which is not working and you say is not recommended.

I don't have a neutral wire, but I don't care about dimming this particular fixture.
    So I can get a PD-5NE and not hook up the neutral and it should work (without dimming)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth65 View Post
    OK, so I'm trying to use the PD-6WCL, which is not working and you say is not recommended.

I don't have a neutral wire, but I don't care about dimming this particular fixture.
    So I can get a PD-5NE and not hook up the neutral and it should work (without dimming)?
    I would use the PD-5WS-DV switch. No neutral, on/off only. This should work with your fixture and wiring restrictions. You will most likely need the LUT-MLC that is included with the switch, use it at the fixture bridging the power into the fixture and the power out of the fixture.

You need the neutral for the PD-5NE, and it is only a dimmer, it cannot convert to switching only.

I would use the PD-5WS-DV switch. No neutral, on/off only. This should work with your fixture and wiring restrictions. You will most likely need the LUT-MLC that is included with the switch, use it at the fixture bridging the power into the fixture and the power out of the fixture.

You need the neutral for the PD-5NE, and it is only a dimmer, it cannot convert to switching only.

OK perfect. I ordered a PD-5WS-DV from Amazon. We'll see if that solves it!

I would use the PD-5WS-DV switch. No neutral, on/off only.
    Are you sure? The Amazon page for the PD-5WS says that the neutral is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post
    Are you sure? The Amazon page for the PD-5WS says that the neutral is required.
    Yep. Ships with the LUT-MLC for ghosting issues. The PD-6ANS is the neutral switch. The "N" in the part number designates neutral. No "N" means no neutral, as a rule of thumb in Lutron naming processes.

Amazon retailers rarely check their descriptions for accuracy. Page two of this document: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369831_ENG.pdf

Thanks! That's good to know.

OK just installed it. The buttons work, and the fixtures turn on and off. But the LED on the switch is flashing red, and it won't mate up with the hub, or even go into mating mode by holding the off for 10 secs. It came with a PUT-MLC, and I tried putting it inline on each lead, but both didn't work. It turned the fixture onto like a halfway dim mode, and the switch wouldnt turn on or off.

The LUT-MLC doesn't go inline (series), it goes parallel to the load. One lead goes to each side of the load (light).

11. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast