Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Connection issue via terminal and Home+ to "first processor"

Connection issue via terminal and Home+ to "first processor"

Curious if anyone else is having this issue or if it is documented.

I have been having a very consistent issue with a number of 8.1 jobs over the past few weeks. Symptoms are:

1. My home+ app will stop connecting when pointed to the "1st' processor in the project (the one originally auto discovered on the network by the app)
    2. I cannot get the login screen when opening a web browser and trying to access the ip of the "1st" processor.
    3. QS Terminal will not connect to the "1st" processor in my project.

If I manually point to the ip of any other processor in the system, I am able to connect successfully. I am able to upload with no issues, after upload (or power reset) I am able to connect to "1st" processor for a short period of time.

All jobs have either Savant or Crestron and they both stay connected without issue. Savant jobs are using the built in username and password while Crestron is using a manually created user and password.

To me it is almost like a port issue but would like to know what is causing this. I have seen the same issue in RadioRa2 8.2

After posting, I see that 9.0.0 is available. Part of the release notes shows a fix for

"TCP connectivity: Resolved issue where repeated and fast connects and disconnects fromrogue devices could lock TCP communications until the processor is reset."

Is this related to the issue I described above?

Quote Originally Posted by totesthouse View Post
    After posting, I see that 9.0.0 is available. Part of the release notes shows a fix for

"TCP connectivity: Resolved issue where repeated and fast connects and disconnects fromrogue devices could lock TCP communications until the processor is reset."

Is this related to the issue I described above?
    I just want to know what "rogue devices" are...

Any update?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Any update?
    digit1,

Thank you for the inquiry. We apologize for the long wait.

"Rogue Devices" are devices that would randomly connect to the processor with fast connects and disconnects. The way they would disconnect from the processor was "not clean" and would cause issues with the processor that could lock up the ethernet connection. Only resetting the processor would unlock the ethernet connection. HWQS 9.X helps by resolving the connection issues that were caused by there "rogue devices".

The "Rogue Devices" are unexpected connections from sometimes unknown devices and were generally seen on open networks or networks using port forwarding. We would see many IPs from outside the network that would try to connect to the processor in an attempt to access it. This connections were generally very brief and sometimes fairly often. For this reason we recommend not using port forwarding and use a VPN when trying to program the system remotely.

6. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    No worries about the long wait, it was mostly to satisfy my curiosity- I came across this old post searching for "terminal". Thanks for the detailed explanation- VPN sounds like the best solution! I thought the 'rogue devices' were 3rd-party apps not playing nicely, but it sounds more like potential hacks from the WAN side.