Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with Garage/Workshop lights

Help with Garage/Workshop lights

I am in the process of installing all new Caseta wireless switches through my house. I would like to install in the garage also. I used the Lutron compatibility tool and cannot find the right fixtures. I need to find garage type fixtures compatible with Caseta wireless switches to replace the old fluorescent lights with ballasts. Thank you.

Are looking to dim? If not, the Caseta switch should work fine with most LED loads.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I apologize, should have specified, yes it is a dimmer Caseta wireless.

Suggestion- do not use Caseta in the Garage. It eats into your device count. Go Maestro Wireless with an occupancy sensor, or just a standard occupancy sensor in the wall (MSOPS2WH). Light will be ensured to be off when not needed for less money (in wall solution).
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I'm guessing you have a typical garage with fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent is used because of their ability to light large spaces efficiently. Replacing them with LEDs would save ~40% on energy. Good, but not the >80% that is typical when replacing incandescent.

Like fluorescent, LEDs that are designed to light large spaces typically don't like to be dimmed. Same is true of most LED flood lights. It's going to be a challenge to find LEDs that can light the large space and be dimmed. Unless, you are willing to look at completely redesigning the lighting system. That doesn't seem worthwhile unless you are using the garage more than the typical homeowner.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I’ve had pretty good luck with the Eaton Halo lights both indoor and outdoor (porch) on Casteta dimmers, although I don’t know if they are on the compatibility list.

Like randyc said though, likely you would be completely changing/redesigning the lighting in the space. Also if you are going from multiple 4’ fl tubes to these the number you may need will possibly be quite pricy.

I happen to to need to replace the ceiling in my carport, which currently has a dual floodlight fixture that is not well placed or enough overall for the space. Since I’ll have the ceiling out I’ll put in Halos instead, but will need 4 - 6 of them to adequately cover the area. Once done they will be spectacularly better than what I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Parr View Post
    I’ve had pretty good luck with the Eaton Halo lights both indoor and outdoor (porch) on Casteta dimmers, although I don’t know if they are on the compatibility list.

Like randyc said though, likely you would be completely changing/redesigning the lighting in the space. Also if you are going from multiple 4’ fl tubes to these the number you may need will possibly be quite pricy.

I happen to to need to replace the ceiling in my carport, which currently has a dual floodlight fixture that is not well placed or enough overall for the space. Since I’ll have the ceiling out I’ll put in Halos instead, but will need 4 - 6 of them to adequately cover the area. Once done they will be spectacularly better than what I have now.
    Shawn Parr- be careful here. Check local code regarding fire ratings for garages. Here in CA, shared walls with (any) living space requires a 2 hour fire rating which most drywall cannot provide. You'll need the fireboxes or to have the can lights specifically framed out with drywall boxes to meet this code. Just an FYI. If you can find them, DMF has an affordable line of recessed that can fit into their special 4"sq box that is fire rated. High lumen output and adjustable optics. Bit more expensive than the Halos, but cheaper factoring in the box out costs for the fire rating.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols