Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW! Ceiling fan control for Caseta!

NEW! Ceiling fan control for Caseta!

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

Good news is it is here. Bad news is it appears to be for old style fans (i.e. with pull chain speed control).
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Have they said when they will start shipping?

March 1, 2019.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Likes Larry in TN liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

Good news is it is here. Bad news is it appears to be for old style fans (i.e. with pull chain speed control).
    "old school" pull chain fans are under the guise of a permanent split capacitor motor, per Lutron tech. Unfortunately, the DC motors that are becoming more popular have different mechanisms for speed control and the situation is akin to LEDs in the beginning. Too many ways to "dim" too many different types of motors.

Good suggestion for pull chain quality fans is https://www.montecarlofans.com/ . Selection is pretty good, should be able to match the design requirements of most homes.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

So will the fan Pico be able to control multiple fans just like a regular Pico can control multiple lights switches?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    So will the fan Pico be able to control multiple fans just like a regular Pico can control multiple lights switches?
    I would expect them to. My understanding is that Picos don’t have any real idea about pairing, they just send out messages. The dimmers, switches, etc., in Caseta have a bank of 10 memory slots to remember paired Picos. I’m not sure if the Smartbridge counts as one of the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Parr View Post
    I would expect them to. My understanding is that Picos don’t have any real idea about pairing, they just send out messages. The dimmers, switches, etc., in Caseta have a bank of 10 memory slots to remember paired Picos. I’m not sure if the Smartbridge counts as one of the 10.
    The 10 limit applies to devices not in a system. In this case, the Pico is actually only "paired" to the SmartBridge, SmartBridge programmed to associate the Pico press with a certain set of devices.

I received and installed a PD-FSQN Smart Fan Speed Control today. I paid $54.99 shipped on Ebay.

My fan is a Casablanca fan with pull-chain for speed control. It was previously controlled by a PD-6ANS.

The only difference in the installation is the PD-FSQN has a screw terminal for the power input (HOT) instead of a pigtail as the other switches have. All other leads are pigtails.

The speed control works very well. The slowest speed is slower than the fan's slowest pull-chain speed which is nice. It's very quiet, too. The only time I hear anything from the fan motor is when it is accelerating from a slower speed to a higher speed. There is no 'buzzing' when the fan is running.

I'm going to order another for a Hunter fan in the master bedroom.

10. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post
    The speed control works very well. The slowest speed is slower than the fan's slowest pull-chain speed which is nice. It's very quiet, too. The only time I hear anything from the fan motor is when it is accelerating from a slower speed to a higher speed. There is no 'buzzing' when the fan is running.
    It was commonly reported that Lutron fan controls in the Maestro line (including RadioRA2 and now Caseta) would quiet the motors down. I've got $50 builders' specials from Lowe's that are nearly silent with fan controls running both.

I was concerned that they might buzz but, so far, I'm quite pleased with the performance. That was a big problem with many of the X10 fan controls of years past and why I only ordered one of the new switches initially.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast