Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEW! Ceiling fan control for Caseta!

Quote Originally Posted by 63GBPackerfan View Post
    They are. I tried to add them using the Lutron app, but only the option for lights or shades.
    I ended up seeing a video on how to pair from the switch. I paired a regular light dimmer Pico to work with the fan control. I just saved myself $30.

I have an in-ceiling fan that has a canopy-mounted remote control interface installed. One of those rf handheld remotes that controls fan speed and the light.

Can I leave this installed and use the new Caseta Fan Controller (or the existing RA2 Fan controller)?

I would like to avoid having to go up and remove the canopy box. I'm ok with simply making sure the fan is set to high speed and not having any light control (rarely use the built-in light anyway).

Seems to me this might work but would like someone to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by SpivR View Post
    I have an in-ceiling fan that has a canopy-mounted remote control interface installed. One of those rf handheld remotes that controls fan speed and the light.

Can I leave this installed and use the new Caseta Fan Controller (or the existing RA2 Fan controller)?

I would like to avoid having to go up and remove the canopy box. I'm ok with simply making sure the fan is set to high speed and not having any light control (rarely use the built-in light anyway).

Seems to me this might work but would like someone to verify.
    I had the same issue with the three fans that I converted. I didn’t think that was possible, so I went ahead and removed all the remote control units. It was a PITA, but worth it.

Did you try it first, or you just removed the canopy units before installing the fan controller?

Quote Originally Posted by SpivR View Post
    Did you try it first, or you just removed the canopy units before installing the fan controller?
    I just removed them.

I just installed my first Caseta Smart fan controller. It works well. I would like to add a request for Wink hub support. It would make it much easier to control my devices than having to switch from the Lutron app to the Wink app. I know, first world problem, but the Wink hub supports so many more things than the Lutron hub and Wink already supports all the other Caseta devices. I am sure the Smart Things people feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by jdwinker View Post
    I just installed my first Caseta Smart fan controller. It works well. I would like to add a request for Wink hub support. It would make it much easier to control my devices than having to switch from the Lutron app to the Wink app. I know, first world problem, but the Wink hub supports so many more things than the Lutron hub and Wink already supports all the other Caseta devices. I am sure the Smart Things people feel the same way.
    I have a similar request: Please provide support for the new Lutron fan control with SmartThings. If the Lutron API supports the PD-FSQN, then it should not be a big deal to build the appropriate device handler in either Wink or SmartThings.

The issue here is that it's not clear which company has the responsibility for providing the support. I believe the new PD-FSQN is the ONLY Lutron Caseta device that is not supported by SmartThings. I have 29 Caseta devices installed, and 28 of them work well with SmartThings. The PD-FSQN is the exception.

I contacted SmartThings support about this issue. The response i received was not encouraging.

New member and soon-to-be Caseta user here, in the middle of a remodel, needing a reality check, please...

Knowing I wanted to have Caseta light switches and knowing that the fan controller was imminent, I asked my electrician to run two 110V cables to the light/fan position, from two adjacent switch gangs, one of which I intend to be a standard Caseta light dimmer, and the other the fan controller.

I realize now that most recent fan models have built-in proprietary control systems with their own switches, either wired or RF, none of which seem to be compatible with Caseta, and many of them have DC motors which are not compatible with the Caseta fan controller even if the built-in controller could be bypassed.

I guess what I need is a fan/light which takes plain 110V for the fan and the light separately, with an AC motor, and an old-skool speed controller which can be locked to "fast" and won't object to being passed "speed-controlled" (PWM?) AC.

Monte Carlo fans were recommended earlier in this thread. I assume that any reputable lighting store would know about this stuff and what would work?

It's not too late to change the switch box to remove a gang, if it's easier to just go with a proprietary unit, although I'd like the switches to visually match.

No big deal if that stuff isn't "Caseta compatible" as long as it's Alexa compatible for remote control, right?

Quote Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
    New member and soon-to-be Caseta user here, in the middle of a remodel, needing a reality check, please...

Knowing I wanted to have Caseta light switches and knowing that the fan controller was imminent, I asked my electrician to run two 110V cables to the light/fan position, from two adjacent switch gangs, one of which I intend to be a standard Caseta light dimmer, and the other the fan controller.

I realize now that most recent fan models have built-in proprietary control systems with their own switches, either wired or RF, none of which seem to be compatible with Caseta, and many of them have DC motors which are not compatible with the Caseta fan controller even if the built-in controller could be bypassed.

I guess what I need is a fan/light which takes plain 110V for the fan and the light separately, with an AC motor, and an old-skool speed controller which can be locked to "fast" and won't object to being passed "speed-controlled" (PWM?) AC.

Monte Carlo fans were recommended earlier in this thread. I assume that any reputable lighting store would know about this stuff and what would work?

It's not too late to change the switch box to remove a gang, if it's easier to just go with a proprietary unit, although I'd like the switches to visually match.

No big deal if that stuff isn't "Caseta compatible" as long as it's Alexa compatible for remote control, right?
    I think you’re on the right track. Have your electrician run 3-conductor Romex (Black, Red, White, Ground) and have a switch gang for both the light and the fan.

You hit the nail on the head, no remote control/DC motors with Caseta fan control

If you are not interested in going the Caseta route, you could get a normal fan with a remote control and use this thing called the bond- https://bondhome.io/, it can use RF to communicate with the fan and use Alexa control. If you are going the proprietary route, you’d probably run constant power to the fan.

But, that said, if you can find a fan with an AC fan you like the Caseta route would be definitely preferred.

Hope this helps,

Evan

@evankirkhart Awesome, thank you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast