Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: How to program Homelink and Visor Control

How to program Homelink and Visor Control

I have a visor control transmitter whose current function is to open and close the garage doors. It is my understanding that I could replace the transmitter with the built-in Homelink buttons in the car but I haven't seen any explanation on how to do this. Can you help?

You have to look at your cars programming guide to do this. Once you have your car in the program mode it is simple, you just push the button to learn into your visor. Each vehicle is different on how it goes into program mode so please look up your vehicle homelink program to find out how to do this.

3. Thanks Kevin P. thanked for this post
    Likes Armando B. liked this post
    Thanks duaned, I will give it a shot and report back.

Is it just the VCRX that will respond to the vehicle Homelink remote?

Or is there a 'remote chance' of using a Pico to program the Homelink buttons? Pun intended!

In this instance it is just the VCRX that will respond; no Picos in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by uhrgenau View Post
    In this instance it is just the VCRX that will respond; no Picos in the picture.
    Sure, when using both the VCRX and it's remote, that's correct.

My apologies if this is a bit of a thread hijack, but I'd like to think it's somewhat tangentially related...

I'm asking whether or not a Homelink-capable vehicle can learn a Pico's signal, and speak directly to the repeater. In some situations that would allow using the car's built-in remote to send commands without needing the VCRX at all. That and you wouldn't have to leave a Pico in the car (one less thing to get stolen, especially out of a convertible).

But if VCRX signals are, in fact, the only thing that can be taught to a Homelink remote that's fine. I'm trying to clarify this a bit.

I don't consider your question a hijack at all. The documentation that supports the VCRX is minimal and confusing to me. I suspect that the VCRX is capable of quite a bit more than simply acting as an expensive garage door opener but you'd never realize it just from looking at the documentation. Mind you I have the same issue with technical documentation from other companies as well when it describes a feature but doesn't tell why or how to use it. (My Sony camcorder comes to mind).

Do you have a Pico that you can try to bond with your Homelink transmitter? Why not give it a try and see if it works. You can always reset the Homelink.

I would be shocked if a homelink transmitter could learn a pico's signal, but did anyone try? Homelink (in newer cars) operates up to 433MHz, but Picos use 434MHz. This is obviously in the margin, so who knows.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    I would be shocked if a homelink transmitter could learn a pico's signal, but did anyone try? Homelink (in newer cars) operates up to 433MHz, but Picos use 434MHz. This is obviously in the margin, so who knows.
    Unfortunately, the Homelink transmitters cannot learn the Pico's signal. You are correct and the Pico uses 434Mhz. The Visor Transmitter operates at a lower frequency and is why Homelink can learn it's frequency.