Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RadioRA2 Vacancy Sensor Delay Programming

RadioRA2 Vacancy Sensor Delay Programming

Hi,

I have two light groups within a room and would like to have the different light groups turn off after a different amount of time (one with a longer delay than the other) when controlled by the occupancy/vacancy sensor.

I followed this thread which suggests that a "delay" setting is available in the programming software. I assume this is different than the "fade" setting as I do not want the lights to gradually decrease levels over the 20-40 minute delay range.

However, in the version of the software I am using (12.0.1), I have found no way to access the referenced "delay" setting. In my version, the occupancy sensors do not show up when the "Keypads" grouping in the left-hand navigation pane. When I right-click on any of the programmed device levels for the occupancy sensor in question when the "Occupancy" grouping is selected, the only context menu option is "Delete".

Has the sensor delay option been removed in the latest versions of the RadioRA2 programming software? Is there a different workaround?

Thanks,

Jeff

In the programming screen, select "Occupancy" from the drop down at the top-left.
    Right click on the headings of the assigned devices table and enable "show delay."
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Thanks ShadesJeff thanked for this post
    Another option-
    In programming tab, look to the bottom right of a programmed button/sensor. There is a "spreadsheet" list of the actions to perform. Right click on one of these line and you should get the option to "Show Delay" come up. This will show the delay on all programming in the list, as well as the pop up window when hovering over or selecting a device to add to programming.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks!!!

The trick was to right-click on the header of any of the "spreadsheets" while on the "Program" tab. I must have right-clicked 100 times on the spreadsheet line items with no success in getting the "Show Delay" option to appear, but must have never accidentally right-clicked in the header. Once the "Show Delay" option was activated, the delay time does show up in all of the "spreadsheets" and in the pop-up window when changing a device's programming.

Is the general consensus that the occupancy sensors should be hardware set (on the sensor) to the shortest (1 minute) timing and any further delay should be programmed or is there a disadvantage to this approach?

As a semi-related question, is there a reason the wall-mounted occupancy sensors do not offer a low-light occupancy / sensor vacancy option like the ceiling sensors other than the ceiling sensors were updated more recently?

Thanks!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ShadesJeff View Post
    Thanks!!!

The trick was to right-click on the header of any of the "spreadsheets" while on the "Program" tab. I must have right-clicked 100 times on the spreadsheet line items with no success in getting the "Show Delay" option to appear, but must have never accidentally right-clicked in the header. Once the "Show Delay" option was activated, the delay time does show up in all of the "spreadsheets" and in the pop-up window when changing a device's programming.

Is the general consensus that the occupancy sensors should be hardware set (on the sensor) to the shortest (1 minute) timing and any further delay should be programmed or is there a disadvantage to this approach?

As a semi-related question, is there a reason the wall-mounted occupancy sensors do not offer a low-light occupancy / sensor vacancy option like the ceiling sensors other than the ceiling sensors were updated more recently?

Thanks!

Jeff
    Thanks for the update. I would set the time out of the sensor to one of the selections on the back of the sensor, say for the light. Then use the delay to keep the bath fan running a bit longer. Easier for the homeowner to understand, unless you need a time out that is not offered by the preset selections.

For the wall mount, I've been wondering the same thing for about 7 years...

One trick to run is use the timeclock to change the sensor behavior from off/occupancy/vacancy based on certain times of day. This "tricks" the sensor into not sending the occupied signal (vacancy) during a pre-determined time until you enable the occupied signal (occupancy). Like this

Sensor programmed to occupied 10% for the general lighting
    TC event Sensor Disable --> Sensor set to Vacancy at 6:00AM
    TC event Sensor Enable --> Sensor set to Occupancy at 10:00PM

Closest thing we have to "conditionals" in RA2. Light needs to be pressed "on" to whatever the default level is from 6AM-10PM, but automatically times out and turns off. From 10PM to 6AM, light automatically comes on to 10% and then times out and turns off again. This would mimic your low light level set up to some extent. And customers universally love the extra special treatment, even if they didn't originally think they would want it.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by ShadesJeff View Post
    This is a super late reply but just came across this thread and thought I'd point out some issues with occupancy sensors.

If you use Lutron Connect, using an occupancy sensor is guaranteed to result in inaccurate status in the app, and setting the occupancy sensor to one minute will result in the most inaccuracy. Rather than regurgitate it all, I have a thread where I explained the issues here (described in the first two posts) - https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...Lutron-Connect.

I can't help but think this is a bug in the software or the bridge that Lutron really should fix because introducing an occupancy sensor can render the app useless for that room.