Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need help with 2001 Homework system and LED bulbs

Need help with 2001 Homework system and LED bulbs

This is maddening. I purchased a system and am told it wasn't meant to be used with LED. I'm hoping someone here has figured out how to make this thing work with modern LED bulbs.

What system? Homeworks original? What devices?

Would be happy to help. Add to Paulie info, also need type of bulbs, brand, how many bulbs on a string.
    IE. MR16, Phillips, 4 bulbs
    Par30, ?, 3 bulbs

2001 would most likely have been HomeWorks Illumination but it could be HomeWorks original. If you have panel based controls, they will have a neutral connection so the minimum load will be around 10 watts. You will need forward phase/leading edge LEDs to work with them. They are typically listed as "dimmable with incandescent dimmers." Not all LEDs are created equal. I have had a success with Cree and the EcoSmart (Home Depot store brand).

In-wall dimmers are not likely to have a neutral connection so the minimum load is going to be 50-60 watts. That's going to be hard to achieve with LEDs only. These will also need to be forward phase/leading edge.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I have an HRD-6ND Maestro controlling a bunch of ceiling halogen floods. I am looking at replacing them one-by-one with Cree PAR30L-75W-P1-27K-25NF-E26-U1 LED floods. I cannot figure out from the description if these are forward phase/leading edge LEDs. I looked at Cree's compatibility sheet but of course my stuff is way too old. Does anyone have some insight here?Thanks,PaulP.S. Hi Randy, still running my H-RFP-2P!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello TheOldMan,Unfortunately the Lutron Homeworks Illumination system and it's components like the HRD-6ND are not rated for LED lighting loads and instead only incandescent/halogen. The best recommendation we could provide would be to contact your local Lutron representative by utilizing our online tool @ http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/WT...0&AID=2&CN=116 where they can assist with identifying the best upgrade options to a system/components that are rated for the type of lighting loads you are looking to utilize.Hope this info helps! -JustinF.

I've been hunting for a solution to this for weeks (I have a HW Illumination system in a rented house and the tenant is keen for LED's rather than halogens to reduce electricity running costs) and think i've found it. Read on another forum something about a "synthetic load" device and rang Lutron themselves to ask if such a device would work, and the guy was amazingly helpful, talked to his tech team, and confirmed that any "resistive load" device from ANY BRAND would work as long as it was 10w. He said the tech guys has shown him one on google from a brand called Danlers, and sure enough, there it is - just google danlers-resistive-load-10w and you'll find it. No idea how many of these i'll need, but at 30 quid a pop it'll be a shed load cheaper than replacing the system! Have flipped it onto my local support guy and will update once he's tried fitting it.
    Hope this is useful to all those Illumination owners