Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fan control and dimmer in single gang

Fan control and dimmer in single gang

Hi I want to add some basic lighting controls and fans controls to my condo. I have two locations (living room and dining room) that both feature a single gang switch that controls on/off function for my overhead light and ceiling fan combo. Speed and light on/off are controlled by the hanging chains for further adjustments. Pretty typical setup I think although I realize its a tad "low end" being a single gang on/off switch with chain control.

I see the maestro line has a product (MA-LFQM-XX) that will control both in terms of dimming and fan speed control (with the addition of a canopy module -CM-FQI) from a single gang switch location.

I however would like something that can be app controlled or be able to be used with a third party control system like Savant or Control4 like the Caseta series. I can't figure out how to make this work however as there seems to be no solution of this in something that has app control/ makes use of the Smart Bridge or has an RS232 connection module (or IP) to integrate with a basic control system that controls other elements in the home.

Can anybody recommend a solution to this problem? Will Maestro ever be compatible with the Smart Bridge??? Thanks for your input.

Further to this, One location (living room) has a concrete wall where the switch is located making the swap out to a 2 gang back box with a quick rewire too costly to explore. The dining room could have this done and I am considering it. I am not opposed to adding a stick on pico type remote next to the existing switch if this is the only answer, but I cant find a canopy module to control the fan speed in an app / third party controllable solution.

As you probably know, Caseta doesn't have any fan control devices. Maestro is meant to be standalone and does not have the necessary wireless technology (ClearConnect) to work with Caseta.

Possible options:
    The Lutron RRD-2ANF might be an option, only 4 speeds, not the 7 speed option of the Lutron
    CM-FQ1 fan canopy control.
    The RA 2 used by the
    RRD-2ANF is the same "clear connect" RF interface as used by Caseta,
    However, this would still require a second gang box for separate light control.
    Using diamond blade tools, cutting concrete to add a second box is quite doable.