Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Home works Illumination Series 8 i want to add and modify, bridge???

Lightbulb Home works Illumination Series 8 i want to add and modify, bridge???

I have a Lutron HW Illumination System Series 8 and it is working great. i have several panels of RMA's that all seem to be functioning and doing fine. I have an AMX system that is a little over 10 years old and was all put in at the same time. the AMX system is doing fine as well. I would like to convert my shade control and thermostat control and music control to the Lutron system and slowly move away from the AMX which is not user-friendly and I feel will not be a value to a new homeowner in the future.

can you help, point me in the right direction I see the bridge seems to be the way to go. I currently use the app on my phone and iPad to control the lights rather than the amx panels
    sincerely
    iexplorer

Illumination is a legacy system and finding parts for it is going to be a challenge.

Lutron made a family of shades called QED (also legacy status) that is compatible with the Illumination system. It is possible to integrate other shades but you would be limited to parts availability.

There is no thermostat/HVAC control compatible with Illumination.

There is no bridge compatible with Illumination.

You could do some music control but again, you will need additional parts. It wouldn't be any more friendly than AMX.

I would recommend moving toward more current systems like Sonos for music, Nest for HVAC, etc. (I'm not recommending those specific systems.) They are app controlled, user friendly, and selling points for future owners.

Lutron Home Control+ is an app that is still available (for a limited time) that will work with Illumination. I think I read it would no longer be available after September 2019. It will still work, you just won't be able to download it.

I believe the AMX panels use CAT-5 wiring. You could use that cable for PoE and replace them with tablets.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Upgrade,

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Illumination is a legacy system and finding parts for it is going to be a challenge.

Lutron made a family of shades called QED (also legacy status) that is compatible with the Illumination system. It is possible to integrate other shades but you would be limited to parts availability.

There is no thermostat/HVAC control compatible with Illumination.

There is no bridge compatible with Illumination.

You could do some music control but again, you will need additional parts. It wouldn't be any more friendly than AMX.

I would recommend moving toward more current systems like Sonos for music, Nest for HVAC, etc. (I'm not recommending those specific systems.) They are app controlled, user friendly, and selling points for future owners.

Lutron Home Control+ is an app that is still available (for a limited time) that will work with Illumination. I think I read it would no longer be available after September 2019. It will still work, you just won't be able to download it.

I believe the AMX panels use CAT-5 wiring. You could use that cable for PoE and replace them with tablets.
    thank

thank you so much for replying to my question. is there anyway for me to upgrade to the Lutron QS system or another system that would take the kind of load that i have in my home. i have over 7600 lighting fixtures. i have only 3 lutron wall plates. the rest are all AMX which yes are cat 5 and we could replace with lutron and then add in the shades, and thermostats and music. therefore bringing me into the current century. please advise.

You can upgrade to QS and purxhase a software license so QS can control your QED shades then replace your, I assume AprilAire tstats with Lutron TouchProc and some QS RF repeaters. I can’t imaginge having 7600 fixtures and only 3 lutron keypads, which AMX keypads do you have? You could easily get lutron RF keypads and power them off the CAT 5 or even use wired keypads.

Where are you located? Is your AMX guy still in business? Did they also do your Lutron system? There’s a lot to consider and most folks would just try to talk you into ripping everything out but that deosn’t always make the most sense since AMX could he doing things that aren’t easily accomplished with other products. Music, HVAC, Lighting and Tv control any system can do pretty well but there might be some things that only custom programming can accomplish.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

There are upgrade options. As Vining noted, you can upgrade the processor(s) to QS. This would allow you to add Lutron termostats, remote access, etc.

If you really only have 3 Lutron keypads, I would look at replacing the AMX controls with Lutron QS keypads. If the Lutron head-end and AMX head-end are not close by, it could be a challenge to get those AMX locations on the Lutron system. There are still options. You could for example, have 1 QS processor at the existing Lutron HE and 1 at the AMX head-end.

Some existing equipment may be able to be used in a QS system. Remote Power Panels can be used in QS.

QED shades can be upgraded to QS by replacing the motor.

As for music, I would still recommend something like Sonos for the reasons previously mentioned.

7600 is a lot of fixtures. Illumination supported multiple processors so 7600 could be handled by 3 or 4 processors. QS also supports multiple processors.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com