Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Wiring Question - Fan Spped Control (No Light)

Wiring Question - Fan Spped Control (No Light)

I have a quandary.

I have a fan that is controlled from 2 locations. One location uses a simple 2 wire switch (1 red/1 black), the other had a light switch with 2 red wires and 2 black wires - (plus a ground). One side of the old switch was labeled out. The two white wires were tied off to each other already.

The fan speed control has one red, one red/white, one black and the ground.

The question is that the instructions for the speed control only seem to address three wires, not 4. I want to install the speed control on the wall with the two pairs of wires, as that makes the most sense.

I thought I had it right, but I can only turn on/off the fan, it does not seem to control the speed at all.

Suggestions, thanks

The first switch you described is a single-pole switch. The second switch you described is a 4-way switch. It is used in conjunction with 3-way switches. It is not compatible with a single-pole switch. Make sure the 4-way switch is controlling the fan. It is possible someone rigged it some how to also control the fan. You are going to need to un-rig it to make the speed control work properly.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    The first switch you described is a single-pole switch. The second switch you described is a 4-way switch. It is used in conjunction with 3-way switches. It is not compatible with a single-pole switch. Make sure the 4-way switch is controlling the fan. It is possible someone rigged it some how to also control the fan. You are going to need to un-rig it to make the speed control work properly.
    I may have not been completely clear. New construction, I am adding a fan (the builder just installed the box) so there was nothing there before. If I have the wrong fan control, what kind should I be looking for. The fan is up and works, can’t really work on it as it took a 16 foot ladder to install it :).

Thanks for the response.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I may have not been completely clear. New construction, I am adding a fan (the builder just installed the box) so there was nothing there before. If I have the wrong fan control, what kind should I be looking for. The fan is up and works, can’t really work on it as it took a 16 foot ladder to install it :).

Thanks for the response.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello mlbrady30,
    Thank you for your posts! After reading through the information you provided it sounds like it might be best to give us a call here at Lutron Tech Support (1-888-588-7661) to troubleshoot a bit further. We are available 24/7 and can help to identify what is currently happening there and what controls might be appropriate for this application.

We look forward to hearing from you!

-JustinF.